Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ananth Gundabattula <ag...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/04 04:21:32 UTC

Regarding Row Cache configuration and non-heap memory

Hello,

I have configured cassandra 1.1.4 to use row cache of 10GB ( the RAM on the
machine is pretty big and hence the row cache size is high).  My heap
settings are 8G and new heap size is 1600M.

As I read from the forum and documentation, jna.jar allows to use non-heap
memory for the row caches.

The question I have is how is the configuration in cassandra.yaml for
row_cache_size_in_mb interpreted? Is it referring to the non-heap setting
or the memory used inside the heap to maintain book-keeping information
about the non-heap memory ( as I gather from the postings that heap is
indeed used to some extent while still using the non-heap memory for row
caches).

In short the question is whether the row_cache_size_in_mb can exceed the
heap setting for cassandra 1.1.4 if jna.jar is present in the libs?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Ananth

Re: Regarding Row Cache configuration and non-heap memory

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
> In short the question is whether the row_cache_size_in_mb can exceed the heap setting for cassandra 1.1.4 if jna.jar is present in the libs?
Yes.
AFAIK jna.jar is not required for off heap row cache in 1.1.X

> My heap settings are 8G and new heap size is 1600M.
You can reduce the size of the heap in 1.1X. The default settings max out of 4G.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton