Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2009/11/28 23:20:53 UTC

Release plugin documentation request

I find that the release plugin docs don't give me an adequate idea of
what to expect to happen in svn when I run

release:prepare
release:rollback
release:perform
release:branch

After some experimentation I think I know what happens for some of
these:

release:prepare makes 3 svn commits
- update current project to release version
- create tag  (from what? I have no idea)
- update current project to next development version

release:rollback, in an indeterminate number of commits, undoes
anything committed since release:prepare was run for the first time in
this release attempt.  In particular if you tried to commit build
fixes that only became evident during release:prepare, they will get
undone.

release:perform makes no svn changes

release:branch I have no idea about.

I suspect it would take about 15 minutes for one of the authors to
update the docs with some accurate info along these lines and I doubt
I would be the only one appreciating the effort.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Release plugin documentation request

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Hi David
>
> Great to get some feedback on the docs. I think we have "prepare",
> "perform" and "branch" covered pretty well with these pages:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/examples/prepare-release.html
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/examples/perform-release.html
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/examples/branch.html
>
> So I guess we'd need two more covering "rollback" and "clean".

I had a look through the site sources and found a page that covers
"rollback". The page is deployed, but not currently linked. I've fixed
the links for the next version.

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/examples/rollback-release.html

> David Jencks wrote:
>> I find that the release plugin docs don't give me an adequate idea of
>> what to expect to happen in svn when I run
>>
>> release:prepare
>> release:rollback
>> release:perform
>> release:branch
>>
>> After some experimentation I think I know what happens for some of these:
>>
>> release:prepare makes 3 svn commits
>> - update current project to release version
>> - create tag  (from what? I have no idea)
>> - update current project to next development version
>>
>> release:rollback, in an indeterminate number of commits, undoes anything
>> committed since release:prepare was run for the first time in this
>> release attempt.  In particular if you tried to commit build fixes that
>> only became evident during release:prepare, they will get undone.
>>
>> release:perform makes no svn changes
>>
>> release:branch I have no idea about.
>>
>> I suspect it would take about 15 minutes for one of the authors to
>> update the docs with some accurate info along these lines and I doubt I
>> would be the only one appreciating the effort.
>>
>> thanks
>> david jencks

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Release plugin documentation request

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for pointing out those pages.  They indeed have the information
I was asking for for those three goals.  Might I suggest that these
three pages are very clearly not examples but the basic usage guide
for these three goals and would be much more visible linked from the
usage page or better yet included in the goal explanation pages?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi David

David Jencks wrote:
> I find that the release plugin docs don't give me an adequate idea of
> what to expect to happen in svn when I run
>
> release:prepare
> release:rollback
> release:perform
> release:branch
>
> After some experimentation I think I know what happens for some of these:
>
> release:prepare makes 3 svn commits
> - update current project to release version
> - create tag  (from what? I have no idea)
> - update current project to next development version
>
> release:rollback, in an indeterminate number of commits, undoes anything
> committed since release:prepare was run for the first time in this
> release attempt.  In particular if you tried to commit build fixes that
> only became evident during release:prepare, they will get undone.
>
> release:perform makes no svn changes
>
> release:branch I have no idea about.
>
> I suspect it would take about 15 minutes for one of the authors to
> update the docs with some accurate info along these lines and I doubt I
> would be the only one appreciating the effort.
>
> thanks
> david jencks

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Release plugin documentation request

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Stevo,

Thanks but I think the existing release plugin documentation covers
everything in those articles quite well.  Neither one tells me what to
expect to happen in svn when I run one of the goals.  I guess
-DdryRun=true

is supposed to print the svn commands to be used on the console but
they are in my experience very hard to find and I don't think this is
applicable to anything but release:prepare.

I'd also like to request that the meaning of release:clean be
explained.... what exactly is changed?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com>.
Hello David,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
inline you will find some added comments.

2009/11/28 David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>:
> I find that the release plugin docs don't give me an adequate idea of what
> to expect to happen in svn when I run
>
> release:prepare
> release:rollback
> release:perform
> release:branch
>
> After some experimentation I think I know what happens for some of these:
>
> release:prepare makes 3 svn commits
> - update current project to release version
commit updated pom(s)
> - create tag  (from what? I have no idea)
startting with 2.0-beta-9 and the parameter remoteTagging the copy (at
least for svn) is done remotely (svn cp http:// http:// ) using the
revision from the previous commit.
> - update current project to next development version
>
> release:rollback, in an indeterminate number of commits, undoes anything
> committed since release:prepare was run for the first time in this release
> attempt.  In particular if you tried to commit build fixes that only became
> evident during release:prepare, they will get undone.
>
> release:perform makes no svn changes
>
> release:branch I have no idea about.
>
> I suspect it would take about 15 minutes for one of the authors to update
> the docs with some accurate info along these lines and I doubt I would be
> the only one appreciating the effort.
>
> thanks
> david jencks

Olivier