Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com> on 2015/04/17 07:46:00 UTC

[Q?] Questions on 4.1.0-Beta Testing Stratos with Kubernetes

Hi Devs,

I created [1] by merging the instructions that we mentioned in [4] and the
instructions that we provided in [2]. I have the following questions with
regard to the info on 4.1.0-Beta Testing Stratos with Kubernetes [1] wiki
page.

(1) In the mail thread [3] Imesh mentioned that it is incorrect to refer to
4.1.0-kubernetes-v6 [5] in [1] as it refers to a different version. Please
let me know whether I should direct the user to download the Stratos
distribution and build it instead of downloading the Stratos binary pack
and samples from [5].

(2)  In [1] in step 1/4/(c)/(viii) is it correct to instruct the user to
run the live tests to check if the Kubernetes cluster is working as
expected, as previously instructed in [2]?

(3) In [2] we instructed the user to restart the Kubernetes controller
manager from the master node in step 3. Is it correct to understand that we
no longer need to carryout this process as we are using a newer version of
Kubernetes?

(4) Do we need to still upload new Docker images to the Docker Hub and pull
it from the Docker Hub due to the issue mentioned in step 8 in [2]?

(5) We have pointed to [6] from [1]. Do all the commands stating kubecfg need
to be replaced with kubectl ?

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.1.0-Beta+Testing+Stratos+with+Kubernetes
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.1.0-alpha+Install+Stratos+with+Kubernetes
[3] [Q] Why is the samples hierarchy so long in 4.1.0-kubernetes-v6/
[4] https://gist.github.com/imesh/b8f81fac8de39183a504
[5] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/stratos/4.1.0-kubernetes-v6/
[6]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.1.0+Troubleshooting+Docker+Support+Related+Issues

Regards,
Mariangela

*--*
Mariangela Hills
Senior Technical Writer

*WSO2, Inc.*lean.enterprise.middleware.
m: +94 773 500185
w: http://wso2.com
<http://wso2.com/events/>

Re: [Q?] Questions on 4.1.0-Beta Testing Stratos with Kubernetes

Posted by Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>.
Hi Devs,

Please disregard this mail as I managed to get the required clarification
offline. I have added the replies to my Q's inline FYI.

Regards,
Mariangela

*--*

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> I created [1] by merging the instructions that we mentioned in [4] and the
> instructions that we provided in [2]. I have the following questions with
> regard to the info on 4.1.0-Beta Testing Stratos with Kubernetes [1] wiki
> page.
>
> (1) In the mail thread [3] Imesh mentioned that it is incorrect to refer
> to 4.1.0-kubernetes-v6 [5] in [1] as it refers to a different version.
> Please let me know whether I should direct the user to download the Stratos
> distribution and build it instead of downloading the Stratos binary pack
> and samples from [5].

Direct the user to clone the Stratos distribution and switch to the
4.1.0-beta tag instead of downloading from [5].

> (2)  In [1] in step 1/4/(c)/(viii) is it correct to instruct the user to
> run the live tests to check if the Kubernetes cluster is working as
> expected, as previously instructed in [2]?

Yes, it is ok to instruct the user to run the live tests.

> (3) In [2] we instructed the user to restart the Kubernetes controller
> manager from the master node in step 3. Is it correct to understand that we
> no longer need to carryout this process as we are using a newer version of
> Kubernetes?

Yes, restarting the  Kubernetes controller manager is not needed any more.

> (4) Do we need to still upload new Docker images to the Docker Hub and
> pull it from the Docker Hub due to the issue mentioned in step 8 in [2]?

No we do not need to upload the Docker image to the Docker Hub and pull it
from there to the host anymore.

> (5) We have pointed to [6] from [1]. Do all the commands stating kubecfg need
> to be replaced with kubectl ?

Yes