Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dan Shookowsky <ds...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/16 15:00:24 UTC

Migrating from 1.3 to 1.4

We're currently running Subversion version 1.3.0 (r17949) on a Windows
2003 server, served up through Apache 2.0.55 with mod_auth_sspi for
security.  We only have a few small repositories (less than 10 for
code and 1 for docs).

Does anyone have information regarding the best practices for
migrating to SVN 1.4?  I'd like to take advantage of the speed
improvements, but would like to ensure that the transition is as
smooth as possible.  Also, I had read on the list of some issues with
SVN 1.4 in an environment similar to ours and was wondering if the
issues had been resolved.

I'm just not sure if I want to move the server side forward first or
the clients.

Re: Migrating from 1.3 to 1.4

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.
Eric Lemes wrote:
> On 10/16/06, *eg* <egoots@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I don't know about this neon problems...
>
> All my developers uses Tortoise SVN here. The svn command-line client is
> used in the buildmachines, cruise control and other automated stuff. All
> these tools uses --username and --password switchs, and everything works
> fine.
>
> Maybe someone can put some details about these neon problems...

Apparently (I may get this wrong as it is complex) it only affects you
if you are using SSPI authentication with an Apache server setup AND you
do not have a Guest account setup (on Windows).

A couple of threads discussing some of these on the dev list are:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-09/0950.shtml
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-09/0349.shtml

It sounds like, if you have the configuration which triggers these
issues, you will notice it right away.

There are other threads investigating options too.

Again... I am not experiencing these and am not an expert on the
issues... but hopefully the info is useful.

That is why I suggested testing first before switching any clients over.

Re: Migrating from 1.3 to 1.4

Posted by Eric Lemes <er...@gmail.com>.
On 10/16/06, eg <eg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure about the issues question... there is a bunch of stuff related
> to neon and authentication issues that I see being discussed on the dev
> list. No "fixes" have been officially released... a Subversion 1.4.1 is
> expected soonish.

I don't know about this neon problems...

All my developers uses Tortoise SVN here. The svn command-line client is
used in the buildmachines, cruise control and other automated stuff. All
these tools uses --username and --password switchs, and everything works
fine.

Maybe someone can put some details about these neon problems...

Eric

Re: Migrating from 1.3 to 1.4

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.
Dan Shookowsky wrote:
> We're currently running Subversion version 1.3.0 (r17949) on a Windows
> 2003 server, served up through Apache 2.0.55 with mod_auth_sspi for
> security.  We only have a few small repositories (less than 10 for
> code and 1 for docs).
>
> Does anyone have information regarding the best practices for
> migrating to SVN 1.4?  I'd like to take advantage of the speed
> improvements, but would like to ensure that the transition is as
> smooth as possible.  Also, I had read on the list of some issues with
> SVN 1.4 in an environment similar to ours and was wondering if the
> issues had been resolved.
>
> I'm just not sure if I want to move the server side forward first or
> the clients.

Not sure about the issues question... there is a bunch of stuff related
to neon and authentication issues that I see being discussed on the dev
list. No "fixes" have been officially released... a Subversion 1.4.1 is
expected soonish.
You may want to test whether 1.4 works for you first before moving
anyone over.

In any case, here is a link to some scripts that someone posted for
doing the actual repository upgrade. Apparently these were used to
upgrade over 800 repositories (sounds well tested to me):

http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Repository_Upgrade

Re: Migrating from 1.3 to 1.4

Posted by Eric Lemes <er...@gmail.com>.
On 10/16/06, Dan Shookowsky <ds...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We're currently running Subversion version 1.3.0 (r17949) on a Windows
> 2003 server, served up through Apache 2.0.55 with mod_auth_sspi for
> security.  We only have a few small repositories (less than 10 for
> code and 1 for docs).
>
> Does anyone have information regarding the best practices for
> migrating to SVN 1.4?  I'd like to take advantage of the speed
> improvements, but would like to ensure that the transition is as
> smooth as possible.  Also, I had read on the list of some issues with
> SVN 1.4 in an environment similar to ours and was wondering if the
> issues had been resolved.
>
> I'm just not sure if I want to move the server side forward first or
> the clients.

Hello Dan,

I have the same environment.

I migrated recently my repos from 1.3 to 1.4, with no issues. I just run the
1.4 installer, copied the new .so's and libdb.dll to modules dir, and
restarted the server.

The clients has been upgraded to TortoiseSVN 1.4 with no issues too.

I haven't runned the dump/load in my repos to take advantage of the new
repository format yet. I runned this in a small environment for tests, and
have no surprises too.

Eric