Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Brijesh NK <br...@sysarris.soft.net> on 2002/09/19 06:19:24 UTC

JSF & JSTL

Hi,

I was going through the JSF tutorials. After going through few chapters i
feel that the JSF finctionality can be implemented using JSTL, why do we
need another thechnology with different name.

Any thoughts

Brijesh

Re: JSF & JSTL

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Brijesh NK wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:49:24 +0530
> From: Brijesh NK <br...@sysarris.soft.net>
> Subject: JSF & JSTL
>
> Hi,
>
> I was going through the JSF tutorials. After going through few chapters i
> feel that the JSF finctionality can be implemented using JSTL, why do we
> need another thechnology with different name.

JSF components have a much richer functionality than do JSTL tags directly
-- just a couple of examples should suffice to make the point:

* JSF components redisplay bad input the way that Struts
  input field tags do.  With JSTL alone, that would only
  work for String fields.

* JSF lets you plug in event handlers and validators.  JSTL
  offers no such functionality.

* JSF lets you plug in a different RenderKit that renders the
  same components differently for a different target device.
  JSTL has nothing like this.

With respect to JSF versus Struts, see my posting yesterday on why and how
to use them together.  From a Struts developer perspective, the reason to
use JSF instead of the Struts HTML tags is that you'll automatically gain
access to all the JSF components developed by everyone who creates them
(and, because it'll be the standard, that covers a *lot* of component
providers), instead of being stuck with just the proprietary Struts tags.

> Any thoughts
>
> Brijesh

Craig