Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Nataly Naumova <na...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/07 11:42:21 UTC

Re: [drlvm][startup][performance][classloader] mapping bootstrap jars directly into memory (HARMONY-5281)

Tim,

I've measured the startup performance for simple applications, speedup
was ~2-3% on simple graphics aplication with lots of AWT/SWING
classes. But I think the idea is quite pretty, because of we get rid
of a big amount of system calls, such as lseek, read etc. As we're
working just with pointers directly.

--
Nataly Naumova,
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [drlvm][startup][performance][classloader] mapping bootstrap jars directly into memory (HARMONY-5281)

Posted by Pavel Pervov <pm...@gmail.com>.
Egor,

I'm not aware of any regular measurements of Harmony memory footprint.

Pavel.

--
Pavel Pervov,

Re: [drlvm][startup][performance][classloader] mapping bootstrap jars directly into memory (HARMONY-5281)

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 4:46 AM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nataly Naumova wrote:
>  > I've measured the startup performance for simple applications, speedup
>  > was ~2-3% on simple graphics aplication with lots of AWT/SWING
>  > classes. But I think the idea is quite pretty, because of we get rid
>  > of a big amount of system calls, such as lseek, read etc. As we're
>  > working just with pointers directly.
>
>  Understood, but to increase the runtime footprint by 20Mb is bad IMHO.

What's the total footprint? What was it before? The RI has a ~25M
footprint for general uses the last time I checked.

-Nathan

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Alexei Fedotov
<al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Pavel!
>  I believe that your idea of making a questionable option configurable
>  is the best way to resolve these concerns.

Yes,  agreed.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com

Re: [drlvm][startup][performance][classloader] mapping bootstrap jars directly into memory (HARMONY-5281)

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Pavel!

Posted by Pavel Pervov <pm...@gmail.com>.
Xiao-Feng,

--
Pavel Pervov,

Re: [drlvm][startup][performance][classloader] mapping bootstrap jars directly into memory (HARMONY-5281)

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.