Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/08/17 17:55:56 UTC

[DISCUSS] AOO Ready to Graduate

We've had several prods from our mentors suggesting that we are ready
to graduate.  But I think there was general recognition that with
graduation comes a little hump in extra work, both for the project as
well as the IPMC and Infra, especially related to mailing list and
website changes [1].  We wanted to avoid piling that on top of the
already considerable work required to get AOO 3.4.1 released.

The AOO 3.4.1 release is now being voted on.  So I think it is a good
time for us to start this process.

I'd recommend everyone take a look at this timeline [2] for what the
graduation process looks like.  You can see it is three steps:

1) Optional Community vote [3]

2) Preparation of a Charter and Resolution [4]

3) Vote by the IPMC to recommend the Charter/Resolution to the ASF Board.

4) Approval by the ASF Board.

As I understand it the ASF Board meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of each
month.  So the next meeting should be September 19th.  If we start
now, we should have plenty of time to work through this process in
time for that meeting.

I'd like to start the first step, with the optional, but highly
recommended, community vote, stating our belief that we are ready to
graduate.

Regards,

-Rob

[1]  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#project-first-steps

[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#process

[3] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#tlp-community-vote

[4] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#tlp-resolution

Re: [DISCUSS] AOO Ready to Graduate

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 08/17/2012 08:55 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> We've had several prods from our mentors suggesting that we are ready
> to graduate.  But I think there was general recognition that with
> graduation comes a little hump in extra work, both for the project as
> well as the IPMC and Infra, especially related to mailing list and
> website changes [1].  We wanted to avoid piling that on top of the
> already considerable work required to get AOO 3.4.1 released.
>
> The AOO 3.4.1 release is now being voted on.  So I think it is a good
> time for us to start this process.
>
> I'd recommend everyone take a look at this timeline [2] for what the
> graduation process looks like.  You can see it is three steps:
>
> 1) Optional Community vote [3]
>
> 2) Preparation of a Charter and Resolution [4]
>
> 3) Vote by the IPMC to recommend the Charter/Resolution to the ASF Board.
>
> 4) Approval by the ASF Board.
>
> As I understand it the ASF Board meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of each
> month.  So the next meeting should be September 19th.  If we start
> now, we should have plenty of time to work through this process in
> time for that meeting.
>
> I'd like to start the first step, with the optional, but highly
> recommended, community vote, stating our belief that we are ready to
> graduate.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob
>

> [1]  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#project-first-steps
>
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#process
>
> [3] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#tlp-community-vote
>
> [4] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#tlp-resolution

I think we should definitely start the process -- do the community vote.

When I looked at these steps several months ago, the only hurdle to me
was the creation of the charter -- I think we even had a brief
conversation about that at the time.

MzK

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think."
                                    -- Niels Bohr

RE: [DISCUSS] AOO Ready to Graduate

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1 on prerequisites.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/8/17 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:
> We've had several prods from our mentors suggesting that we are ready
> to graduate.  But I think there was general recognition that with
> graduation comes a little hump in extra work, both for the project as
> well as the IPMC and Infra, especially related to mailing list and
> website changes [1].  We wanted to avoid piling that on top of the
> already considerable work required to get AOO 3.4.1 released.
>
> The AOO 3.4.1 release is now being voted on.  So I think it is a good
> time for us to start this process.
>
> I'd recommend everyone take a look at this timeline [2] for what the
> graduation process looks like.  You can see it is three steps:
>
> 1) Optional Community vote [3]
>
> 2) Preparation of a Charter and Resolution [4]
>
> 3) Vote by the IPMC to recommend the Charter/Resolution to the ASF Board.
>
> 4) Approval by the ASF Board.
>
> As I understand it the ASF Board meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of each
> month.  So the next meeting should be September 19th.  If we start
> now, we should have plenty of time to work through this process in
> time for that meeting.
>
> I'd like to start the first step, with the optional, but highly
> recommended, community vote, stating our belief that we are ready to
> graduate.

+1.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> We've had several prods from our mentors suggesting that we are ready
> to graduate.  But I think there was general recognition that with
> graduation comes a little hump in extra work, both for the project as
> well as the IPMC and Infra, especially related to mailing list and
> website changes [1].  We wanted to avoid piling that on top of the
> already considerable work required to get AOO 3.4.1 released.
>
> The AOO 3.4.1 release is now being voted on.  So I think it is a good
> time for us to start this process.
>
> I'd recommend everyone take a look at this timeline [2] for what the
> graduation process looks like.  You can see it is three steps:
>
> 1) Optional Community vote [3]
>
> 2) Preparation of a Charter and Resolution [4]
>
> 3) Vote by the IPMC to recommend the Charter/Resolution to the ASF Board.
>
> 4) Approval by the ASF Board.
>
> As I understand it the ASF Board meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of each
> month.  So the next meeting should be September 19th.  If we start
> now, we should have plenty of time to work through this process in
> time for that meeting.
>
> I'd like to start the first step, with the optional, but highly
> recommended, community vote, stating our belief that we are ready to
> graduate.

+1 Let's get this started this week.

Posted by Roberto Salomon <ro...@gmail.com>.
Agreed..

+1

--
Roberto Salomon

Posted by Jürgen Lange <jl...@juergen-lange.de>.

Posted by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com>.
+1.  Let's move forward.

2012/8/17 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:
> We've had several prods from our mentors suggesting that we are ready
> to graduate.  But I think there was general recognition that with
> graduation comes a little hump in extra work, both for the project as
> well as the IPMC and Infra, especially related to mailing list and
> website changes [1].  We wanted to avoid piling that on top of the
> already considerable work required to get AOO 3.4.1 released.
>
> The AOO 3.4.1 release is now being voted on.  So I think it is a good
> time for us to start this process.
>
> I'd recommend everyone take a look at this timeline [2] for what the
> graduation process looks like.  You can see it is three steps:
>
> 1) Optional Community vote [3]
>
> 2) Preparation of a Charter and Resolution [4]
>
> 3) Vote by the IPMC to recommend the Charter/Resolution to the ASF Board.
>
> 4) Approval by the ASF Board.
>
> As I understand it the ASF Board meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of each
> month.  So the next meeting should be September 19th.  If we start
> now, we should have plenty of time to work through this process in
> time for that meeting.
>
> I'd like to start the first step, with the optional, but highly
> recommended, community vote, stating our belief that we are ready to
> graduate.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob
>

> [1]  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#project-first-steps
>
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#process
>
> [3] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#tlp-community-vote
>
> [4] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#tlp-resolution

--
Best Regards

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.
> Am Freitag, 17. August 2012 um 17:55 schrieb Rob Weir:
> > We've had several prods from our mentors suggesting that we are ready
> > to graduate. But I think there was general recognition that with
> > graduation comes a little hump in extra work, both for the project as
> > well as the IPMC and Infra, especially related to mailing list and
> > website changes [1]. We wanted to avoid piling that on top of the
> > already considerable work required to get AOO 3.4.1 released.
> >
> > The AOO 3.4.1 release is now being voted on. So I think it is a good
> > time for us to start this process.
> >
> > I'd recommend everyone take a look at this timeline [2] for what the
> > graduation process looks like. You can see it is three steps:
> >
> > 1) Optional Community vote [3]
> >
> > 2) Preparation of a Charter and Resolution [4]
> >
> > 3) Vote by the IPMC to recommend the Charter/Resolution to the ASF Board.
> >
> > 4) Approval by the ASF Board.
> >
> > As I understand it the ASF Board meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of each
> > month. So the next meeting should be September 19th. If we start
> > now, we should have plenty of time to work through this process in
> > time for that meeting.
> >
> > I'd like to start the first step, with the optional, but highly
> > recommended, community vote, stating our belief that we are ready to
> > graduate.
>
> I agree and yes let us start with the process.
>
> Juergen
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Rob
> >

> > [1]