Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Damian Carey <da...@carey-macek.com> on 2021/05/23 07:38:17 UTC

Re: Github Token Authentication

Hi all,
Sorry ... but I must be missing something obvious here.

I've used Git/GitHub in Netbeans 8.2 for several years now with no problem.

Now, as per this thread, I need to move from a password to a Personal
Access Token.

Tomáš suggested using the token as a password ... however ... I cannot find
where to put the password now.

Obviously I put it in at some stage, but now I cannot find where to update
the GitHub password.

Can anyone guide me?
What am I missing?

Any clue highly appreciated.
-Damian

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
From
https://github.blog/2020-12-15-token-authentication-requirements-for-git-operations/
What you need to do today
<https://github.blog/2020-12-15-token-authentication-requirements-for-git-operations/#what-you-need-to-do-today>

   - For developers, if you are using a password to authenticate Git
   operations with GitHub.com today, you must begin using a personal access
   token
   <https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/github/authenticating-to-github/creating-a-personal-access-token>
over
   HTTPS (recommended) or SSH key by August 13, 2021, to avoid disruption. If
   you receive a warning that you are using an outdated third-party
   integration, you should update your client to the latest version.
   - For integrators, you must authenticate integrations using the web
or device
   authorization
   <https://github.blog/changelog/2020-07-27-oauth-2-0-device-authorization-flow/>
flows
   by August 13, 2021, to avoid disruption. For more information, see
Authorizing
   OAuth Apps
   <https://docs.github.com/en/developers/apps/authorizing-oauth-apps> and the
   announcement on the developer blog
   <https://developer.github.com/changes/2020-02-14-deprecating-password-auth/>
   .

From link
https://docs.github.com/en/github/authenticating-to-github/keeping-your-account-and-data-secure/creating-a-personal-access-token
Using a token on the command line
<https://docs.github.com/en/github/authenticating-to-github/keeping-your-account-and-data-secure/creating-a-personal-access-token#using-a-token-on-the-command-line>

Once you have a token, you can enter it instead of your password when
performing Git operations over HTTPS.

For example, on the command line you would enter the following:

$ git clone https://github.com/*username*/*repo*.git
Username: your_username
Password: *your_token*

Personal access tokens can only be used for HTTPS Git operations. If your
repository uses an SSH remote URL, you will need to switch the remote from
SSH to HTTPS
<https://docs.github.com/en/github/getting-started-with-github/managing-remote-repositories/#switching-remote-urls-from-ssh-to-https>
.

If you are not prompted for your username and password, your credentials
may be cached on your computer. You can update your credentials in the
Keychain
<https://docs.github.com/en/github/getting-started-with-github/updating-credentials-from-the-macos-keychain>
replace your old password with the token.

Instead of manually entering your PAT for every HTTPS Git operation, you
can cache your PAT with a Git client. Git will temporarily store your
credentials in memory until an expiry interval has passed. You can also
store the token in a plain text file that Git can read before every
request. For more information, see "Caching your GitHub credentials in Git
<https://docs.github.com/en/github/getting-started-with-github/caching-your-github-credentials-in-git>
."
On the page there are further links.

See if this helps to start with.

Eric

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 2:38 AM Damian Carey <da...@carey-macek.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Sorry ... but I must be missing something obvious here.
>
> I've used Git/GitHub in Netbeans 8.2 for several years now with no problem.
>
> Now, as per this thread, I need to move from a password to a Personal
> Access Token.
>
> Tomáš suggested using the token as a password ... however ... I cannot find
> where to put the password now.
>
> Obviously I put it in at some stage, but now I cannot find where to update
> the GitHub password.
>
> Can anyone guide me?
> What am I missing?
>
> Any clue highly appreciated.
> -Damian
>
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 at 07:10, Tomáš Procházka <ka...@razdva.cz> wrote:
>
> > Hi Eric,
> > just generate access token in GitHub and use the token as password for
> > autentication.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tom
> >
> > On 20. 03. 21 19:45, Eric Bresie wrote:
> > > While checking in via Git within Netbeans, I received a notice
> indicating
> > > the following:
> > >
> > > You recently used a password to access the repository at
> ebresie/netbeans
> > > with git using JGit/5.7.0.202003110725-r.
> > >
> > > Basic authentication using a password to Git is deprecated and will
> soon
> > no
> > > longer work. Visit
> > >

> https://github.blog/2020-12-15-token-authentication-requirements-for-git-operations/
> > > for
> > > more information around suggested workarounds and removal dates.
> > >

> > > Is there some changes needed for the Git functionality within Netbeans
> in
> > > support of this?
> > >
> > > Eric Bresie
> > > ebresie@gmail.com