Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Vivek Mishra <vi...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2008/10/14 14:18:00 UTC

query

What is the advantage of postgres over derby ?
We can use Derby but why we are using postgres ?

Re: query

Posted by Vikas Mayur <vi...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Vivek,

Derby is a lightweight database and is distributed along with OFBiz.
It is mostly used during development.

Database like postgres, mysql, oracle or many more are preferred to be
used in Production though
they can be used during developement as well.

HTH

Vikas

Re: query

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.
Hi Vivek,

> What is the advantage of postgres over derby ?
> We can use Derby but why we are using postgres ?

Quite a few Java projects including OfBiz make use of Derby as a
database simply because it is written in Java and can therefore be set
up to run 'out of the box' without requiring the user to install
separate database drivers and database package.  For new users this is
ideal as they can quickly have a running demo system to play with
without getting too bogged down in configuration issues.

For production however you may need something which is not only faster
but more scalable and more robust and more secure.  Production databases
have the means to backup database tables while other users are still
using them.  Other facilities might include the ability to setup
master/slave databases or support transaction based processing complete
with commit and rollback.  You will almost certainly also be able to
restrict what actions OfBiz can perform on which tables in order to
improve security.

Just some of the reasons why you might use postgres or MySQL instead of
Derby ;-)

Regards,
David Legg

Re: query

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
During development, it is sometimes required to start with a new database.
But using the built in Derby, there are scripts that remove the complete
Database so you can rebuild again.
When using an external Database, during development, you must take the
responsibility of cleaning out the tables and data yourself.
For that reason it is best during development to use the built in Derby.

note if your using ofbiz as a desktop application (no ecommerce) then
you could use derby, in small companies.

Vivek Mishra sent the following on 10/14/2008 5:18 AM:

Re: query

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
We use derby for development and postgres for staging and production
instances.

Cheers,
Tim
--