Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2020/03/22 00:14:50 UTC

[Discuss] Retire Log4net to the attic.

The PMC has struggled for several years trying to attract new developers to the project and has not succeeded. The latest discussion was last October where a few individuals expressed some interest but nothing came of that.  One individual apparently migrated the builds to azure but they don’t appear to be publicly viewable.

Log4Net has had 3 pull requests this year none of which has had any comments. There are 7 open PRs from 2019. There are currently 34 open pull requests and no pull requests have been merged since October 2018.

The only PMC members or committers who have recently worked on Log4net indicated some time ago that they would no longer be able to work on the project.

We would appreciate any thoughts on this before we hold a vote to retire the project.

Ralph

Re: [Discuss] Retire Log4net to the attic.

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 at 04:45, Brown, Michael <ma...@purdue.edu> wrote:

> Are there better replacements for Log4net? What would it take to migrate
> to them?

It depends how far log4net is integrated into a codebase. There are good
interfaces available [1] to write code against. Dependency injection
frameworks have also become very popular [2]. If code is written against
these or any other generic interfaces, the underlying logging framework
implementation can be replaced easily. Of course there are also issues
relating to logging framework configuration files and others if parts of
the logging framework (i.e. log events via remote appender) have been
integrated into monitoring or application logic. This can be a challenging
task if the interfaces between the various parts of an application are
unclear. This situation may be a good moment to improve an existing
codebase. Or it could be a good reason to become the maintainer of log4net.
The PMC does support if at least three individuals step forward now. Please
note that the codebase of log4net does not disappear. It is still there,
hopefully for the public good.

[1]
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.extensions.logging.ilogger?view=dotnet-plat-ext-3.1
[2]
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.extensions.dependencyinjection?view=dotnet-plat-ext-3.1
--
Dominik Psenner

Re: [Discuss] Retire Log4net to the attic.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I find it hard enough to maintain the components I don’t use but at least
understand. I don’t know .net much at all, so I can’t offer much help
maintaining this.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Discuss] Retire Log4net to the attic.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by "Brown, Michael" <ma...@purdue.edu>.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.