Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Milind Sawant <mi...@skandiabank.ch> on 2002/04/16 16:04:52 UTC

RE: basic authentication in apache 1.3.19 ignoring more than 8characters in the password.

Hi

thanks for your concern

The Basic Authentication in apache uses the htpasswd utility to generate
passwords.

A) The default option is -d ( Force CRYPT encryption of the password ) .
	you can create a password of more that 8 characters.
	But only the first 8 characters are relevant.
	as owen boyle has righly pointed out , if "xxxxxxxxYBDCDC" is your password
and on authentication
	if you supply "xxxxxxxxADBDD" as the password , you can log in.

B) Using other options like -m (MD5 encryption ) and -s (SHA encyption) dont
work.
	i can generate the password but get a password mismatch error on
authentication.

Do you have the same experience?

Milind

Milind Sawant