Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2020/06/08 07:44:35 UTC

[DISCUSS] Add Japanese translation of the flink.apache.org website

Hi all,

we've received a pull request on flink-web.git for adding a Japanese
translation of the Flink website:
https://github.com/apache/flink-web/pull/346

Before we accept this PR, I believe we should have a discussion about it.

*Relevance*: Looking at Google analytics, our users are coming from China
(1.), US (2.), India (3.), Germany (4.), Japan (5.).
I'd say that is high enough to consider a Japanese translation.

*Reviewing*: I'm not aware of any committer who speaks Japanese. How would
we review this?
The contributor is offering to open follow-up pull requests, which I
believe is fine to bootstrap. Ideally we'll be able to attract more
contributors over time.

In my opinion, if we find one or two reviewers, I would give this a try.

What do you think?

Best,
Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Add Japanese translation of the flink.apache.org website

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Thank you all for your comments!

It seems that we don't have anybody in our community that speaks Japanese,
which will make the review for us difficult anyways. In particular
initially, it is probably important to make sure we are using the right
words for certain concepts in Flink, similar to Chinese [1].

Secondly, it seems that this thread has uncovered a lot of issues around
our current translation process. It sounds like maintaining the docs in two
languages is really painful, and we need to revisit our tooling.

For the tooling, the following ideas were brought up:
a) Xintong's idea to have some custom tooling tracking changes based on a
commit sha
b) Jark's list of tools (out of which Crowdin seems interesting, in
particular because it has been implemented by another Apache project
already)

I want to throw in
c) We look for a new documentation generation tool? Jekyll seems very slow,
and Jark raised concerns regarding its compatibility with Crowdin.

As next steps, I propose
a) we need to find somebody in the community who wants to invest some time
to researching translation tools (or a new docs generation tool). *Who
wants to look into that?*
b) a new discussion thread to follow up.

For the proposed Japanese translation, I will summarize this discussion in
the PR, and put the PR on hold.

Best,
Robert

[1]