Posted to dev@livy.apache.org by Ibrahim Sallam <ib...@genimind.com> on 2021/08/03 04:20:33 UTC

Project status!

Hello Bikas et al.

I saw this thread (below) back in June but I haven't seen any update on the
issue since. The project is important to one of my clients and I'd like to
see it graduating and being supported moving forward.

Best regards,
Ibrahim

8<-------------
From: Bikas Saha <bi...@apache.org>
To: "dev@livy.incubator.apache.org" <de...@livy.incubator.apache.org>, "
user@livy.incubator.apache.org" <us...@livy.incubator.apache.org>
Bcc:
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 16:22:43 +0000
Subject: Graduate or retire
Hi all,

Apache Livy is a successful project that has met many of its initial design
goals to provide interactive access to spark jobs. It appears to be widely
used by many organizations and users. However, project development has been
inactive due to lack of demand for new features and relative stability of
the code base.

At this point there are 2 options for the project given its incubating
status

  1.  Graduate - The project has been following the Apache way in its
release process and community. It can graduate as long as there are 3 pmc
willing to continue to manage the project. Also, volunteers are needed to
complete the graduation checklist and help move the project through the
graduation process.
     *   https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
  2.  Retire - The project will be retired and no longer be supported by
the ASF development process. Its website will be deleted and generally new
releases would not be available. The biggest drawback of this for the user
community is that security patches like the recent CVE release in Feb 21
will not be made available. That can be a blocker for many organizations.
     *   https://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement.html

What does the community think about this situation and how to proceed?
Should we graduate or retire?

When supporting graduation, please indicate willingness to drive the
graduation process and subsequently participate in the project pmc.

Bikas
----------------------->8

--------------------------
Ibrahim Sallam
Principal
GeniMind, Inc.
w: +1.613.216.2620
m: +1 613.415.6681

Re: Project status!

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@apache.org>.
+1. I ack'd that on the report.
________________________________
Posted by Ibrahim Sallam <ib...@genimind.com>.
Sure, please do. I’ll be happy to help during my free time.

Cheers,
Ibrahim

--
--------------------------