Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by vivekmshukla <vs...@epicor.com> on 2010/09/03 16:48:19 UTC

ActiveMQ issue across multiple domains

We are using ActiveMQ topic based communication in our application. We have a
‘spoke and hub’ model in which both publisher and subscribers connect to the
ActiveMQ broker (hub) on the same port (default 61616). Our network is a mix
of multiple domains and there are situations when publishers, subscribers
and broker run on different plateforms (e.g. Windows server 2003, Windows XP
and Windows Server 2008).

If I put the publishers and broker in the same domain or on the same machine
then subscriber is successfully able to consume the messages published by
publisher whereas if I put publisher and broker on different domains then
subscriber doesn’t get the messages publishes by publisher. In all the
scenarios (same domain or across multiple domains), publishers and
subscribers never had problem connecting to the broker and I can always see
the connections established through ActiveMQ admin web-page. I would really
appreciate any help or directions on this issue.

Thanks,
Vivek Shukla

RE: ActiveMQ issue across multiple domains

Posted by vivekmshukla <vs...@epicor.com>.
Thanks Gary. It sounds like a better solution since we are not sure
about the clock settings in customer environments. I will give it a try
and thanks again.

Regards,

Vivek Shukla

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.

On 3 September 2010 19:35, vivekmshukla <vs...@epicor.com> wrote:

> I was able to figure out this issue. I just wanted to share my resolution in
> case somebody faces similar situation in future.
>
> The issue was not related to domain or machine plateform at all. The issue
> was due to the time difference in the system clocks on the domains where I
> had my publisher and broker. The clock on the broker machine was ahead of
> the publisher machine clock. So by the time the topic message was reaching
> on the broker, it was already expired and my subscriber never picked the
> messages. It worked perfectly fine where clocks on the machines were in
> sync. In order to fix the issue, I ensured that machine clocks were in sync.

http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com

Re: ActiveMQ issue across multiple domains