Posted to dev@ponymail.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2020/03/12 22:32:27 UTC

Graduation or..?

Hi folks,
I've been asked a few times about this, and so I'm turning to the
community for some feedback, maybe start a vote or I dunno.

I am satisfied that the community around Pony Mail knows their way
around the ASF, and that we do not have outstanding issues with learning
how to conduct ourselves - that is to say, the incubator cannot teach us
more, and so we should look towards either graduating to TLP or leaving
the foundation. I'm in favor of the former, but I'd like to hear what
other people have to say. Even a +1 to graduating would be appreciated.

If we do move towards graduation, I'd also like for the respective PPMC
members to state whether they are still active and want a role in the
PMC, so we can draft a graduation proposal for the incubator and the board.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Graduation or..?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 13/03/2020 08.19, Rich Bowen wrote:
> I agree that the incubator has nothing more to teach us, and am +1 on
> graduation.
>
> That said, I remain concerned that the project has done a poor job of
> growing the developer community. I'd like to think that being a TLP will
> help our credibility in that regard, but I'm not sure that's what
> history teaches us.

I concur, though I think the _actual_ community is larger and more
present than we give it credit for...it's just not very visible with
emails when things are "going okay". That being said, I do agree we need
to look at how we can grow the community. I have a few grand-ish ideas
myself, and I'll look into slowly starting those up as the next month or
two happens, but I think the incubator has hit its limit of what it can
help us out with, hence my ask.

> I am interested in remaining on the PMC, and hope to have more time
> after March to devote to community growth efforts. And perhaps even make
> some code contributions.

Great to hear :)

Re: Graduation or..?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://rcbowen.com/

Re: Graduation or..?

Posted by Ulises <ul...@gmail.com>.
I'd love to be a part of the new PMC, so please count me in.

Re: Graduation or..?

Posted by Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org>.
Thanks Daniel,
If you need any help in draft for the board, please let me know, will be
happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Swapnil M Mane

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 10:42 PM, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> With 5 people in favor of graduation, I'll start working on a draft for
> the board and IPMC. I'll adjust the proposed PMC to those on the PPMC
> that have expressed an interest in staying on. Thus, if you're still
> interested in being on the new PMC, please pipe up if you haven't already
> :)
>

> With regards,
> Daniel.
>
> On 13/03/2020 11.06, Sharan F wrote:
> > +1 on going for graduation.
> >
> > There are more users out there than are actually active on the lists so
> we
> > need to somehow tap into that.
> >
> > Incubator Mentor-wise I hope it has helped a little so I am happy to
> remain
> > involved.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharan
> >

> > On Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 23:32 Daniel Gruno, <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi folks,
> >> I've been asked a few times about this, and so I'm turning to the
> >> community for some feedback, maybe start a vote or I dunno.
> >>
> >> I am satisfied that the community around Pony Mail knows their way
> >> around the ASF, and that we do not have outstanding issues with learning
> >> how to conduct ourselves - that is to say, the incubator cannot teach us
> >> more, and so we should look towards either graduating to TLP or leaving
> >> the foundation. I'm in favor of the former, but I'd like to hear what
> >> other people have to say. Even a +1 to graduating would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> If we do move towards graduation, I'd also like for the respective PPMC
> >> members to state whether they are still active and want a role in the
> >> PMC, so we can draft a graduation proposal for the incubator and the
> board.
> >>
> >> With regards,
> >> Daniel.
> >>

> --