Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Res <re...@ausics.net> on 2008/03/13 00:33:25 UTC

[users@httpd] Order/Alow/Deny Performances

Hi All,

I'm curious if anyone has thoughts/experiences on system performances
for...

Overall <directory / >  is set as
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
...for security reasons

Each of our virtual hosts have the same, except 'allow from all' in their
respective '/var/virtuals/domain.name/www' directory blocks,

Now if all of the virtuals are under /var/virtuals, would there be any
more impact on responses over a single more higher directory block for
/var/virtuals, rather than putting the order/allows in each virtual host
block as we do now?

Just weighing up the risk of allowing everything under virtuals in a
single entry, against performace, with every domain having an entry for
their own www just to block out their own logs/ and non-web-accesible-storage
directories, in %99.99R cases they dont use their pvt store directoy.
Perhaps this is all moot as there is 0 impact?

Thoughts?
Thanks.

--
Cheers
Res

Re: [users@httpd] Order/Alow/Deny Performances

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Res <re...@ausics.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I'm curious if anyone has thoughts/experiences on system performances
>  for...
>
>  Overall <directory / >  is set as
>  Order Deny,Allow
>  Deny from all
>  ...for security reasons
>
>  Each of our virtual hosts have the same, except 'allow from all' in their
>  respective '/var/virtuals/domain.name/www' directory blocks,
>
>  Now if all of the virtuals are under /var/virtuals, would there be any
>  more impact on responses over a single more higher directory block for
>  /var/virtuals, rather than putting the order/allows in each virtual host
>  block as we do now?
>
>  Just weighing up the risk of allowing everything under virtuals in a
>  single entry, against performace, with every domain having an entry for
>  their own www just to block out their own logs/ and non-web-accesible-storage
>  directories, in %99.99R cases they dont use their pvt store directoy.
>  Perhaps this is all moot as there is 0 impact?

This depends on how many vhosts we are talking about. For a reasonable
number (say, in the dozens), there should be essentially no difference
between the two configurations. For a very large number of vhosts, the
size of the configuration file can sometimes balloon. Although it
still won't have much of an effect on processing time, it can affect
memory usage. That is why there are various mass-virtual-hosting
options to handle hundreds or thousands of vhosts without having a
separate config section for each.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Order/Alow/Deny Performances

Posted by Res <re...@ausics.net>.
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Res wrote:

> Now if all of the virtuals are under /var/virtuals, would there be any more

that should be 'any LESS impact'  :)

(at times I wish I didn't give up caffeine)

--
Cheers
Res