Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by "alapati.sasi" <al...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/30 11:16:04 UTC

jdk1.5 and Xalan.jar differences?

Hi All,

If i use jdk1.5 instead of xalan.jar what could be the problems i can
expect. i heard that to overcome this we need to put some jar's in endorsed
directory of jdk . CAN any one tell me the resons why there is a problem
with jdk1.5 builtn xsl transformer.

Thanks & Regard's
Sasi.A

Re: jdk1.5 and Xalan.jar differences?

Posted by Erin Harris <eh...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi,

XSLTC does not support JavaScript extensions either (sorry I missed this
one on my list).  It does support Java extensions but I believe the
support is not as complete in XSLTC as it is in the interpreter.  For
example:

- It only supports the abbreviated syntax for Java extension calls (see
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/extensions.html#java-namespace)
- It does not support all of the XSLT type to Java type conversions that
the interpreter supports.  You may be able to work around this by adding
an explicit cast (e.g. call to the boolean(), number(), etc. function).
- It does not work well if you return a Boolean object instead of a
boolean from a Java extension, or a Double object instead of a double,
etc.  You can work around this by returning the primitive types instead of
objects.
- It does not provide a default object when the method being called is not
static and no object is provided in the extension call.  You can work
around this by providing the object in the extension call.

Thanks.

Erin Harris

"alapati.sasi" <al...@gmail.com>
30/04/2007 12:48 PM

xalan-j-users@xml.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: jdk1.5 and Xalan.jar differences?

Hi ,

I am talking about Sun JDK .

I have xsl Eg:-
js:fnMathematicalAbsolute(inum).

This works fine with Xalan .If i test the same with SUN JDK XSLTC Its able
to transform if i have simple links ,if i have any
java script extensions or java extensions in the xsl its giving could not
compile stylesheet.

Is this is the same you mean by exslt extensions . Why its ablt to
transform
simple links means data from source to target and why its not able to
transform with extensions .

I came to know that by default jdk xsltc will be called when use transform
method then in that if the xsl contains extensions how it will look to
resolve the extensions .

if i am not clear please let me know.

i will tell you my observations clearly.

i have removed xalan.jar from classpath and send a request to transform
the
xml with a xsl . If this xsl contains js extensions it failed to transform
.
Immediately i placed xalan.jar in classpath and sent the request again .
it
worked fine .
So now i think request went to jdk xsltc and for extensions i think it
called some other class to execute as jdk doesnt contain it it
failed.After
i put xalan.jar in classpath it worked fine so the class which is called
by
jdk1.5 is in xalan.jar .Right?

If i am wrong please tell me the way how it will transform when i sent a
transform request .Any way i am using xalan 2.2d11 version .

Thanks & Regards,
SASI.A

Erin Harris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Which JDK are you referring to?
>
> IBM's JDK includes XSLT4J which is based on Xalan.  For JDK 1.5 it is
> based on Xalan Java 2.6.0.  So there should be no issue moving from
Xalan

Posted by "alapati.sasi" <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,