Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by "Essl, Markus" <Ma...@bitmedia.cc> on 2009/12/04 10:47:34 UTC

Issues with the current SVN version

Hello!

I'm just now getting started with wookie, and are developing some widgets. There were several problems I came across:

Most important:

·         BUG: It does not work in IE (Version 8). There is an error that __defineGetter__ is not valid object.

Important:

·         I tried to follow the widget-tutorial on the page, but it just did not quite work like it should

o   I can create a new widget with ant seed-widget, but the generated config.xml is wrong

§  BUG: "widgetname" is used in the generated config, but it should be "name"

§  BUG: "width" and "height" are put in elements, but this should be attributes of the "widget"-Element

§  The widget-id is set to http://www.getwookie.org/widgetsYOUR_WIDGET_NAME

·         There seems to be slash missing

·         This uri should then be replaced by the user. When I first saw that, I did not know that I need to change that to an actualy - my own -  uri. I would suggest to use the tempuri.org approach that Microsoft uses (http://tempuri.org/widgets/YOUR_WIDGET_NAME). If you go to tempuri.org, it will tell you that need to actually change that.

o   The template widget has a lot of issues

§  BUG: There is no common.css - and I guess it should be in the "style" directory, not in the root directory

§  BUG: The path to "common.js" is wrong - this file is actually in the "scripts" directory

§  BUG: The first line has "strange" quotes around it (var city='manchester')

§  BUG: It tells me t hat the "instanceid_key" is not valid (not defined anywhere)

§  QUESTION: Widget.preferenceForKey / Widget.setPreferenceForKey - I didn't find any reference to that in the w3c widget specification. There is only "widget.preferences" - and this was used as well in the wheater widget

o   Compiling the widget

§  BUG: I ought to compile the widget using "ant". But if I call ant from the "widgets" or "widgets/YOUR_WIDGET_NAME" directory, it wlll create a folder named "${project.build.dir}" - that, this is the actual folder name. that folder is created in the widgets/YOUR_WIDGET_NAME directory. As far as I undestand, this 'ant'-thingy should replace the vars, but the build.xml does not include the correct definitions for it.

Not so important:

·         BUG: The weather widget has an javascript error in FireFox 3.5, because of the code in the index.htm script tag (function dragDrop). Moving the dragDrop-function to weather.js resolved the problem.

·         QUESTION: The weather widget includes references to "/wookie/..js". Is that really needed? I actually got the impression that this is not necessary as this will be automatically available. What do these scripts do? I could not find informatino on that on the widget tutorial. And if it actually is needed, wouldn't there be a "<feature>"-Tag necessary in config.xml as well?

I labelled the widget-creation as important because it just follows the instructions on the homepage and it does not work. I know that a lot of people rather want to create widgets than plugins, or actually help development of wookie. If they follow the guidelines and it does not work, they will get frustrated and put the whole wookie project in a bad light.

So, I know that you have a lot of things to do, so the question is, how can I help? Should I create diffs for the things I find and send them to scott, so that he can check them in? Are is someone else already working on that already anyway?

Markus

bit schulungscenter Nfg GmbH & Co KG | Kaerntner Strasse 311, 8054 Graz | FN 264297 y | ATU61831566 | Gerichtsstand Graz

bit management Beratung GesmbH | Kaerntner Strasse 311, 8054 Graz | FN 147857m | ATU58011225 | Gerichtsstand Graz

bit media e-learning solution GmbH & Co KG | Kaerntner Strasse 311, 8054 Graz | FN 195426d | ATU49978207 | Gerichtsstand Wien

Unternehmensberatung bit consulting GmbH | Kaerntner Strasse 311, 8054 Graz | FN 196369d | ATU49853109 | Gerichtsstand Graz

Re: Issues with the current SVN version

Posted by Ross Gardler <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Markus,

Thanks for your very detailed feedback, this is really useful. As
Scott mentioned it is best to report bugs via the issue tracker, in
mail lists they can get lost very easily. Even better would be to
provide a patch for the issues, sometimes this is quicker than
describing the problem you found (e.g. widgetname -> name)

More comments inline....

2009/12/4 Essl, Markus <Ma...@bitmedia.cc>:
> Important:
>
> ·         I tried to follow the widget-tutorial on the page, but it just did not quite work like it should
>
> o   I can create a new widget with ant seed-widget, but the generated config.xml is wrong
>
> §  BUG: "widgetname" is used in the generated config, but it should be "name"

Already fixed in a patch on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WOOKIE-74

(this patch also adds support for the description tag.

> §  BUG: "width" and "height" are put in elements, but this should be attributes of the "widget"-Element
>
> §  The widget-id is set to http://www.getwookie.org/widgetsYOUR_WIDGET_NAME
>
> ·         There seems to be slash missing
>
> ·         This uri should then be replaced by the user. When I first saw that, I did not know that I need to change that to an actualy - my own -  uri. I would suggest to use the tempuri.org approach that Microsoft uses (http://tempuri.org/widgets/YOUR_WIDGET_NAME). If you go to tempuri.org, it will tell you that need to actually change that.

I've fixed all the above in a patch attached to issue 83
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WOOKIE-83

Note, I have not tested to see if the core code still works with this
corrected configuration.

> o   The template widget has a lot of issues

Sure, it's very new code and has not yet been tested fully - thaks for
testing. Your patches would be very welcome - we need all the help we
can get. Some of the issues are patched in the above issue (noted
below).

> §  BUG: There is no common.css - and I guess it should be in the "style" directory, not in the root directory
>
> §  BUG: The path to "common.js" is wrong - this file is actually in the "scripts" directory
>
> §  BUG: The first line has "strange" quotes around it (var city='manchester')

All above fixed in a patch on the above issue

> §  BUG: It tells me t hat the "instanceid_key" is not valid (not defined anywhere)

Not yet fixed.

> §  BUG: I ought to compile the widget using "ant". But if I call ant from the "widgets" or "widgets/YOUR_WIDGET_NAME" directory, it wlll create a folder named "${project.build.dir}" - that, this is the actual folder name. that folder is created in the widgets/YOUR_WIDGET_NAME directory. As far as I undestand, this 'ant'-thingy should replace the vars, but the build.xml does not include the correct definitions for it.

Yes, I thought I'd fixed that with the recent patches to auto deploy
when building wookie itself. Clearly I left a trace behind (or I
incorrectly built the patch, I'm on a different machine today so can't
verify which is the case)

> I labelled the widget-creation as important because it just follows the instructions on the homepage and it does not work. I know that a lot of people rather want to create widgets than plugins, or actually help development of wookie. If they follow the guidelines and it does not work, they will get frustrated and put the whole wookie project in a bad light.

Absolutely, thanks for your diligence, we value this kind of input
very highly. If you could find a few minutes to add to the issue
tracker that would be great. If you find some more time to create
patches we will be forever in your debt.

> So, I know that you have a lot of things to do, so the question is, how can I help? Should I create diffs for the things I find and send them to scott, so that he can check them in? Are is someone else already working on that already anyway?

Once they are in the issue tracker people will be able to indicate
they are working on a specific issue in order to prevent duplication
of effort. All patches must be submitted via the issue tracker where
we can ensure proper IP management and control the workflow.

Ross

Re: Issues with the current SVN version

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Markus,

Yes, IE 8 has removed support for this;  see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WOOKIE-44

> Important:
>
> ·         I tried to follow the widget-tutorial on the page, but it
> just did not quite work like it should
>
> o   I can create a new widget with ant seed-widget, but the
> generated config.xml is wrong
>
> §  BUG: "widgetname" is used in the generated config, but it should
> be "name"
>
> §  BUG: "width" and "height" are put in elements, but this should be
> attributes of the "widget"-Element
>
> §  The widget-id is set to http://www.getwookie.org/widgetsYOUR_WIDGET_NAME
>
> ·         There seems to be slash missing
>
> ·         This uri should then be replaced by the user. When I first
> saw that, I did not know that I need to change that to an actualy -
> my own -  uri. I would suggest to use the tempuri.org approach that
> Microsoft uses (http://tempuri.org/widgets/YOUR_WIDGET_NAME). If you
> go to tempuri.org, it will tell you that need to actually change that.

That sounds useful.

> o   The template widget has a lot of issues
>
> §  BUG: There is no common.css - and I guess it should be in the
> "style" directory, not in the root directory
>
> §  BUG: The path to "common.js" is wrong - this file is actually in
> the "scripts" directory
>
> §  BUG: The first line has "strange" quotes around it (var
> city='manchester')
>
> §  BUG: It tells me t hat the "instanceid_key" is not valid (not
> defined anywhere)

It shouldn't be needed - that's a private wookie variable that only
gets referenced at runtime after its been deployed.

> §  QUESTION: Widget.preferenceForKey / Widget.setPreferenceForKey -
> I didn't find any reference to that in the w3c widget specification.
> There is only "widget.preferences" - and this was used as well in
> the wheater widget

Yes, this is out of date, it should use widget.preferences.

> o   Compiling the widget
>
> §  BUG: I ought to compile the widget using "ant". But if I call ant
> from the "widgets" or "widgets/YOUR_WIDGET_NAME" directory, it wlll
> create a folder named "${project.build.dir}" - that, this is the
> actual folder name. that folder is created in the widgets/
> YOUR_WIDGET_NAME directory. As far as I undestand, this 'ant'-thingy
> should replace the vars, but the build.xml does not include the
> correct definitions for it.
>
> Not so important:
>
> ·         BUG: The weather widget has an javascript error in FireFox
> 3.5, because of the code in the index.htm script tag (function
> dragDrop). Moving the dragDrop-function to weather.js resolved the
> problem.
>
> ·         QUESTION: The weather widget includes references to "/
> wookie/..js". Is that really needed? I actually got the impression
> that this is not necessary as this will be automatically available.
> What do these scripts do? I could not find informatino on that on
> the widget tutorial. And if it actually is needed, wouldn't there be
> a "<feature>"-Tag necessary in config.xml as well?

No you're correct - all the wookie js links are dynamically injected
when the widget is deployed, they're not needed in the widget source.

> I labelled the widget-creation as important because it just follows
> the instructions on the homepage and it does not work. I know that a
> lot of people rather want to create widgets than plugins, or
> actually help development of wookie. If they follow the guidelines
> and it does not work, they will get frustrated and put the whole
> wookie project in a bad light.

Agreed.

> So, I know that you have a lot of things to do, so the question is,
> how can I help? Should I create diffs for the things I find and send
> them to scott, so that he can check them in? Are is someone else
> already working on that already anyway?

As a first step it would be good if you could create issues on the
tracker at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WOOKIE for the
problems you've identified.

I think Paul Sharples was working on the IE8 issue (WOOKIE-44), but
for all the other problems you've identified we'd be very grateful if
you can submit patches (attach them to the bug reports in the tracker)
for the project committers to review. You'll need to complete an ICLA
form and send it in to ASF (http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt)
for us to be able to apply your contributions.

We really appreciate all the help you can give us!