Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> on 2009/07/28 19:37:23 UTC

Cassandra package for Debian

Debconf[1] seemed like an appropriate time and place for putting
together a package of the recent cassandra release, so I did. :)

You can install using the following sources lines:

deb http://people.apache.org/~eevans/debian cassandra/
deb-src http://people.apache.org/~eevans/debian cassandra/

This Works For Me and should install on unstable, testing, and stable
but it's preliminary and not well tested. If you encounter problems,
please let me know.

[1] http://debconf9.debconf.org

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: Cassandra package for Debian

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 12:41 -0700, Sammy Yu wrote:
>    Thanks for building these packages, they are very helpful.  Do you
> know which rev from svn was used?

It's built using the source tarball[1] of the official release, matching
checksum and all. That corresponds to
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/tags/cassandra-0.3.0-final (revision 799110).

[1]
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/cassandra/0.3.0/apache-cassandra-incubating-0.3.0-src.tar.gz.md5

Posted by Sammy Yu <te...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,
   Thanks for building these packages, they are very helpful.  Do you
know which rev from svn was used?

Best,
Sammy

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 18:54 +0100, Johan Oskarsson wrote:
> It seems the initd script points JAVA_HOME to openjdk, should the
> package not depend on the openjdk package?

The actual dependency is openjdk-6-jre-headless (>= 6b11) |
java6-runtime, where java6-runtime is a virtual package provided by a
number of JVMs. It's listed that way because openjdk is the only option
which is included in main; it's the only dependency guaranteed to be
satisfiable.

Basically, if you want something else, you need to first install
something that Provides java6-runtime (sun-java6-jdk for example).

> I tried it out on Ubuntu with sun-java6-jdk installed which didn't
> work
> out of the box. Not a major problem though.

Right JAVA_HOME will have to be configured whenever you're using
anything other than the openjdk package. Configuring it is as easy as
defining JAVA_HOME in /etc/default/cassandra, but I should have at least
included a commented entry to make that more clear. I'll make sure to
get that fixed in the next upload. Thanks for bringing it to my
attention.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that I use openjdk for development and
testing of cassandra, and it works like a champ! :)

Posted by Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu>.
It seems the initd script points JAVA_HOME to openjdk, should the
package not depend on the openjdk package?

I tried it out on Ubuntu with sun-java6-jdk installed which didn't work
out of the box. Not a major problem though.

/Johan

Posted by Sammy Yu <te...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,