Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Ryo Neyama <ne...@trl.ibm.co.jp> on 2000/10/19 10:37:55 UTC

Proposal: add hooks in the Apache SOAP 2.0

Hi,

I propose some modifications to Apache SOAP to increase extensibility
and flexibility.  We needed such extension in order to sign request
and response envelopes using header entries, i.e. "Signature" tag is
added to embed signature information in the header part.  However,
the current Apache SOAP does not provide developers with any elegant
way to process envelopes.  Our approach is to hook envelopes immediate
before the transport at client side, and immediate after the transport
at server side.  With this extension, you can set envelope processing
components such as the signer component to SOAP engine, minimizing
the impact on Apache SOAP in the sense that existing applications
should work.

------
Proposal: add hooks in the Apache SOAP 2.0:

The Fig.1 illustrates the current message flow between SOAP client
and server in the Apache SOAP 2.0 and the Fig.2 shows our proposal.
Vertical lines are timelines of functions and horizontal lines are
message flows between functions.

The proposed change in the Fig.2 is to add XML-in/XML-out hooks
(EnvelopeEditors in the chart below) between a network transport and
SOAP message handlers where a string format of XML message flows.  The
advantage of this hook is flexibility that a programmer can add any
functions that modify raw SOAP messages in any sense, such as sign a
message, transcode a format with XSLT processor, and so on.  One of
the disadvantage of this approach is performance because there is a
possibility of calling a XML parser multiple times in each added
function.  At this time, we would like to take the flexibility.

There is another change proposed in the Fig.2  The current SOAP 2.0
implementation invokes a hard-coded XML parser.  We would like to
propose to make is replaceable with any other XML parsers.  This gives
programmers a freedom of parser choice.  Another advantage is that
this may be able to improve perfomance by eliminating multiple parser
calls because this is regarded as another kind of XML-in/DOM-out hook
and extension can be implemented as a part of parser (liaison)
functions.

Manifest of ZIP file:

      xml-soap/fig1.gif  ---> Fig.1
      xml-soap/fig2.gif  ---> Fig.2
(mod) xml-soap/java/src/org/apache/soap/server/http/MessageRouterServlet.java
(mod) xml-soap/java/src/org/apache/soap/server/http/RPCRouterServlet.java
(mod) xml-soap/java/src/org/apache/soap/server/http/ServerHTTPUtils.java
(mod) xml-soap/java/samples/messaging/SendMessage.java

(add) xml-soap/java/src/org/apache/soap/transport/FilterTransport.java
(add) xml-soap/java/samples/messaging/SampleXMLParserLiaison.java
(add) xml-soap/java/src/org/apache/soap/transport/EnvelopeEditorAdapter.java
(add) xml-soap/java/src/org/apache/soap/transport/EnvelopeEditorFactory.java
(add) xml-soap/java/src/org/apache/soap/transport/EnvelopeEditor.java

Note that (mod) and (add) means the source code was modified or added
respectevely.

For more detail, please take a look at comments in the modified or
added source codes.

I hope any comments or questions for this proposal.

Regards,
    Ryo Neyama @ IBM Research, Tokyo Research Laboratory
    Internet Technology
    neyama@trl.ibm.co.jp

Re: Proposal: add hooks in the Apache SOAP 2.0

Posted by Ryo Neyama <ne...@trl.ibm.co.jp>.
I'm sorry but I fogot two sample files.
So I'll resend the package.

From: Ryo Neyama <ne...@trl.ibm.co.jp>
Subject: Proposal: add hooks in the Apache SOAP 2.0
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:37:55 +0900

> I propose some modifications to Apache SOAP to increase extensibility
> and flexibility.  We needed such extension in order to sign request

> ------
> Proposal: add hooks in the Apache SOAP 2.0:

> (mod) xml-soap/java/samples/messaging/SendMessage.java
>
> (add) xml-soap/java/src/org/apache/soap/transport/FilterTransport.java

The attached ZIP contains all of the modified or added files.

Posted by Ryo Neyama <ne...@trl.ibm.co.jp>.

From: Ryo Neyama <ne...@trl.ibm.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:37:55 +0900