Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Geoff Howard <gh...@apache.org> on 2003/12/05 00:54:39 UTC

jrcs/diff status

I just discovered the jrcs project in a renewed search for a diff
algorithm implementation compatible with the ASF license.

I searched the archives for an indication if this is a living project or
not and read the trail from september following the proposal to remove
it from Commons/Jakarta and thought I perceived at least a lazy
consensus to increase the project visibility instead of scrubbing it.  I
saw some cvs activity after that, and a post on users which seemed to
confirm that direction.

But now I see that jrcs is gone from the Commons navigation, apparently
removed in this commit with no further explanation:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=107020830121776&w=2

Was this a mistake which went unnoticed or did something happen off list?

I'm interested particularly in the diff portion of the project and have
written a quick first stab at an Ant task based on it because I need it
for work.  I'd like to see about contributing it, some utility code to
make usage simpler, and possibly developing some supporting code for
Cocoon (where I'm active) such as a generator which creates an xml
representation of a diff between files, etc.  The rcs code could prove
useful elsewhere in the Cocoon project which has struggled trying to
provide some cvs support without a cvs project which isn't GPL'd.

TIA,
Geoff

Re: jrcs/diff status

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Geoff Howard wrote:
>> The code being maintained by the primary author now lives here:
>>
>> http://cvs.codehaus.org/viewcvs.cgi/jrcs/?root=codehaus
>>
> Ok, that's interesting.  The code there has not been touched, not a
> single message on the codehaus jrcs
> lists, no mention of it on the site anywhere, the JakartaCommons
> copyright is still on the code, and the
> author's site still points to Commons.  I presume they (he) is in some
> sort of sponsored "incubation" and
> that this didn't happen very long ago.
> What the heck, I'll bite -
> Is there any interest here in keeping the project or aspects of it alive
> here?

Check the message archives for commons-dev.  The project never got
visible here, and after 1.5 years he decided he'd rather host it some
place else where the infrastructure was easier for him to maintain.  We
tried to convince him, but he seemed set to go elsewhere.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

Re: jrcs/diff status

Posted by Geoff Howard <gh...@apache.org>.

Re: jrcs/diff status

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 18:54, Geoff Howard wrote:
> I just discovered the jrcs project in a renewed search for a diff
> algorithm implementation compatible with the ASF license.
>
> I searched the archives for an indication if this is a living project or
> not and read the trail from september following the proposal to remove
> it from Commons/Jakarta and thought I perceived at least a lazy
> consensus to increase the project visibility instead of scrubbing it.  I
> saw some cvs activity after that, and a post on users which seemed to
> confirm that direction.
>
> But now I see that jrcs is gone from the Commons navigation, apparently
> removed in this commit with no further explanation:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=107020830121776&w=2
>
> Was this a mistake which went unnoticed or did something happen off list?
>
> I'm interested particularly in the diff portion of the project and have
> written a quick first stab at an Ant task based on it because I need it
> for work.  I'd like to see about contributing it, some utility code to
> make usage simpler, and possibly developing some supporting code for
> Cocoon (where I'm active) such as a generator which creates an xml
> representation of a diff between files, etc.  The rcs code could prove
> useful elsewhere in the Cocoon project which has struggled trying to
> provide some cvs support without a cvs project which isn't GPL'd.

The code being maintained by the primary author now lives here:

http://cvs.codehaus.org/viewcvs.cgi/jrcs/?root=codehaus

> TIA,
> Geoff

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: jrcs/diff status

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
This was unintentionally. I just made incl_nav.xml in sync with the
other navigation/menu files.

I will put jrcs back into the menu when I do my next update.

-- Dirk