Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Hibbs, David" <Da...@ANICO.com> on 2003/12/17 15:37:05 UTC

[OT?] WebSphere and commons-logging

	For those who are using commons-logging (i.e all Struts users!) on
WebSphere 4.0 or greater, you need to be aware that WebSphere comes with its
own implementation of a commons-logging Log.  Not only that, but it comes
with its own implementation of LogFactory... and a
commons-logging.properties file that forces the use of the IBM Log.

	This isn't so bad in itself, but the IBM log swallows all log
messages of a detail greater than info.  i.e. log.debug() and log.trace()
messages disappear.  That would be fine if you could change the log level
(as expected with commons-logging) and make them appear.  However, IBM
support won't tell me how to change it!  As far as they know (and the pushed
it back to level 3, i.e. the developers), it cannot be changed.  Thus,
you're stuck at a log level of Info and using their logger unless you change
your class loader mode to application first rather than parent first.  What
a kludge!

	Instead of fixing the problem, they opened a feature request!
Aaargh!  They're as bad as Sun!  If your log messages are important to you,
along with the capability to change log levels and loggers without having to
kludge a server setting, please visit their RFE database and vote for the
RFE so as to get it through their thick skulls.  It requires a
login/password, but it's a simple matter of signing up for one.

	To quote support, "It is request # 241 and you can view it via this
link : <http://www7b.software.ibm.com/webapp/wsdd/wasServlet3>. Development
will evaluate and prioritize the requests (if chosen) to be included in
future release of Websphere Application Server" -- and if you have problems
getting to the page, well, try again later.  Their website seems flaky.  Go
figure.

Thanks,

--David

David Hibbs, ACS
Staff Programmer / Analyst
Distributed Applications Development and Support
American National Insurance Company

Re: [OT?] WebSphere and commons-logging

Posted by Ovidiu EFTIMIE <oe...@assemblee-nat.fr>.
Hi,

Make a file called commons-logging.properties and add this line:

org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFacto
ry

Put the file in your classpath

Ovidiu