Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matias Lopez Bergero <ml...@udesa.edu.ar> on 2004/11/30 17:34:59 UTC

wich is the best milter interface for spamassassin?

Hello,

I'm running SA with sendmail using milter-spamc to connect them.

It's working ok, but I would like to know about your experiences using
SA and milter, and which one you think is the best to use. I have not
seeing many people trough the list using milter-spamc, and I like to
hear of some one :)

BR,
Matías.

Re: wich is the best milter interface for spamassassin?

Posted by Matias Lopez Bergero <ml...@udesa.edu.ar>.
Michael W Cocke wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:12:27 -0800, you wrote:
>

>>Matias Lopez Bergero wrote:
>>
>>>I'm also running clamav with clamav-milter, and I would like to hit the
>>>best performance, that's why I was asking for comments :)
>

> The absolute top performance improvement that you can do to your mail
> server is to get off sendmail.  I switched from sendmail to postfix
> last year.  WHOOSH!

:-D
I'll keep that in mind.

How you are measuring the performance of the MTA?
I would like to know how fast my server is running, and what fast could
be running.

Posted by Michael W Cocke <co...@catherders.com>.
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:12:27 -0800, you wrote:

>Matias Lopez Bergero wrote:
>> I'm also running clamav with clamav-milter, and I would like to hit the
>> best performance, that's why I was asking for comments :)

The absolute top performance improvement that you can do to your mail
server is to get off sendmail.  I switched from sendmail to postfix
last year.  WHOOSH!

Currently running postfix/amavisd-new/clam/f-prot/spamassassin -
roughly 33% faster than sendmail/Mimedefang/clam/f-prot/spamassassin,
on the exact same hardware.  And that's not even using the mysql
goodies.

Mike-

--
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs...
You may have a great career as a network administrator ahead!

Re: wich is the best milter interface for spamassassin?

Posted by Matias Lopez Bergero <ml...@udesa.edu.ar>.
Kelson wrote:
> Matias Lopez Bergero wrote:
>
>> I'm also running clamav with clamav-milter, and I would like to hit
>> the best performance, that's why I was asking for comments :)
>

> MIMEDefang will tie into both SpamAssassin and ClamAV, plus any of a
> dozen other virus scanners, plus run its own tests.

I read about MIMEDefand a couple of months ago, but for some reason I
chose not to use it.
I'm going to have a look on it again.

Thanks for the info :)

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Matias Lopez Bergero wrote:
> I'm also running clamav with clamav-milter, and I would like to hit the
> best performance, that's why I was asking for comments :)

MIMEDefang will tie into both SpamAssassin and ClamAV, plus any of a
dozen other virus scanners, plus run its own tests.  You can configure
many different actions (reject, discard, quarantine, label) on just
about any criteria you want.  It's also *very* customizable -- if you
can write it in Perl, you can run it through MIMEDefang!

For instance: AFAIK, there's no way for clamav-milter to handle some of
the more obscure cases from testvirus.org.  (I've been skimming a thread
over on clamav-users.)  There are a few testcases that don't actually
include the EICAR string, but use tricky filenames like CLSIDs.
Similarly, ClamAV won't detect viruses split up using message/partial (a
gaping security hole with its own RFC), but MD blocks that type of
message by default.

The configurability is nice, too.  I have it set to discard known
mass-mailing viruses (as detected by Clam), but quarantine/reject others
in the unlikely event something has latched onto a legit message.  Spam
with an extremely high score is rejected and quarantined, but spam with
a lower score is simply labeled.  Various tests check for common
forgeries before mail even gets to Clam or SA.

The company that maintains it also sells a commercial product, Can-It,
which combines MIMEDefang with some additional features and an
administration interface.  I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard
good things about it.

MIMEDefang: http://www.mimedefang.org/
Can-It: http://www.roaringpenguin.com/

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: wich is the best milter interface for spamassassin?

Posted by Matias Lopez Bergero <ml...@udesa.edu.ar>.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 01:34 PM 11/30/2004 -0300, you wrote:
>I'm running SA with sendmail using milter-spamc to connect them.
>
>It's working ok, but I would like to know about your experiences using SA
>and milter, and which one you think is the best to use. I have not seeing
>many people trough the list using milter-spamc, and I like to hear of some
>one :)

Although I don't use a milter at all (I use MailScanner, which is queue
based), as far as milters go your two most popular are milter-spamc and
mimedefang.

 From what I understand, if your intent is to just run SA, milter-spamc is

Posted by Andy Jezierski <aj...@stepan.com>.
news <ne...@sea.gmane.org> wrote on 11/30/2004 01:34:59 PM:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running SA with sendmail using milter-spamc to connect them.
>
> It's working ok, but I would like to know about your experiences using
> SA and milter, and which one you think is the best to use. I have not
> seeing many people trough the list using milter-spamc, and I like to
> hear of some one :)
>
> BR,
> Matías.

I'm using milter-spamc, it's working quite well.  No complaints here.

Andy