Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Arun P Johny <ar...@greytip.com> on 2007/06/29 09:11:30 UTC

How to hide my proxy password while setting up proxy server

Hi all,

In my maven config file I have to setup an proxy. I have set one like this
<<proxies>
<proxy>
              <id>optional</id>
              <active>true</active>
              <protocol>http</protocol>
              <username>user</username>
              <password>password</password>
              <host>192.168.1.3</host>
              <port>8080</port>
              <nonProxyHosts>local.net,some.host.com</nonProxyHosts>
     </proxy>
</proxies>

It is working fine, I have to Keep my password without any encryption.
It causes some security risk. Is there a way to encrypt my password.

Thank you,
Arun P Johny

Re: How to hide my proxy password while setting up proxy server

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
The <proxy> element should be stored in settings.xml. The settings.xml
file should be located under your user home directory in ~/.m2.

Your user home directory should be configured such that only you can
read/write to it which is how most operating systems will configure it
by default. If it is not, then you have a problem, but this is an
operating system issue, not a Maven "security risk" issue.

This is also addressed on the Maven website:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-proxies.html

Wayne