Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Dop Sun <su...@dopsun.com> on 2010/07/03 17:05:23 UTC

Guava vs. Google-collections

Hi,

Cassandra has dependencies on Google-collections, and as stated in the
Google-collections official site, it has been deprecated, and replaced by
its super set Guava.

Is there any plan to replace the dependencies from Google-collections to
guava?

Here are some lines from Google-collections site:

1.        It is a fully compatible, proper superset of the old Google
Collections Library.

2.       It also includes six months worth of bug fixes, doc fixes, and
performance fixes.

3.       If your application ever ends up with both google-collect-1.0.jar
and guava-r##.jar on the same classpath, simply remove the Google
Collections JAR and you should be fine.

Here are some more thoughts:

1.       It may cause all project depends on Cassandra to migrate to the new
Guava library

2.       Guava as a library (other than functionality copied from
Google-collections) are not stable. "All APIs marked @Beta at the class or
method level are subject to change."

3.       Guava is much bigger, 2.5MB compare with Google-collections 625KB.

I guess move to Guava could be a good one.

Dop

RE: Guava vs. Google-collections

Posted by Dop Sun <su...@dopsun.com>.
Cool. Thanks.

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 23:05 +0800, Dop Sun wrote:
> Cassandra has dependencies on Google-collections, and as stated in the
> Google-collections official site, it has been deprecated, and replaced
> by its super set Guava.
>
> Is there any plan to replace the dependencies from Google-collections
> to guava?

In the stable tree? No. In trunk this has already been done.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: Guava vs. Google-collections