Posted to users@ws.apache.org by "Lin, Yaxiong" <li...@mayo.edu> on 2002/03/07 22:58:28 UTC

Illegal control character error

I am getting "Fatal error parsing XML: Document contains illegal control
character with value 20" error.  Does anyone know when this character is
meant to be?  I looked at the MinML class and found this error triggered on
the charClass retrieval from the string array.   Is there anyway to get
around this problem?

If not, can I use xerces.jar that comes with Tomcat as my parser driver and
what's the class name I need to use with XmlRpc.setDriver () method?

Thanks.

- Yaxiong

Re: Illegal control character error

Posted by John Wilson <tu...@wilson.co.uk>.
The XML specification does not allow control characters other than /t, /r
and /n in a document. MinML checks for this and rejects the message. I would
expect Xerces to do the same. If you have to send control characters the
only option open to you is to send them as a byte array. This will get
Base64 encoded and the parser will not object.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk