Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2005/04/13 19:55:58 UTC

[OT] Good directory structure with SVN?

Hi there,

On some OSS project I'm planning to set up a SVN repo and I was wondering
why we choose the following SVN structure:

maven-plugins/
  |_ trunk/
    |_ plugin1/
    |_ [...]
    |_ pluginN/
  |_ branches/
  |_ tags/

Instead of:

maven-plugins/
  |_ plugin1/
    |_ trunk/
    |_ branches/
    |_ tags/
  |_ pluginN/
    |_ trunk/
    |_ branches/
    |_ tags/

At first glance it seems this second structure would be more appropriate for
plugins that have different release cycles. I guess there are practical
reasons that makes it less good in practice.

I think Brett had thought about this but I can't recall the reason for not
implementing it?

The only reason I can think of is that it would require a different URL for
checking out each plugin from trunk. But I guess this could be alleviated by
using svn:externals. Adding a new plugin would require adding an entry in
the svn:externals but that doesn't happen every day.

I would like to promote the maven-plugins structure but I don't recall the
good reasons for choosing it... ;-)

Thanks
-Vincent