Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by mrg81 <ma...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/28 20:10:51 UTC

Endeca to Solr Migration

Hello --

    I wanted to get some details on Endeca to Solr Migration. I am
interested in few topics:

1. We would like to migrate the Faceted Navigation, Boosting individual
records and a few other items.
2. But the biggest question is about the UI [Experience Manager] - I have
not found a tool that comes close to Experience Manager. I did read about
Hue [In response to Gareth's question on Migration], but it seems that we
will have to do a lot of customization to use that.

Questions:

1. Is there a UI that we can use? Is it possible to un-hook the Experience
Manager UI and point to Solr?
2. How long does a typical migration take? Assuming that we have to migrate
the Faceted Navigation and Boosted records?

Thanks

RE: Endeca to Solr Migration

Posted by "Dyer, James" <Ja...@ingramcontent.com>.
We migrated a big application from Endeca (6.0, I think) a several years ago.  We were not using any of the business UI tools, but we found that Solr is a lot more flexible and performant than Endeca.  But with more flexibility comes more you need to know.

The hardest thing was to migrate the Endeca dimensions to Solr facets.  We had endeca-api specific dependencies throughout the application, even in the presentation layer.  We ended up writing a bridge api that allowed us to keep our endeca-specific code and translate the queries to solr queries.  We are storing a cross-reference between the "N" values from Endeca and key/value pairs to translate something like N=4000 to "fq=Language:English".  With solr, there is more you need to do in your app that the backend doesn't manage for you.  In the end, though, it lets you sparate your concerns better.

James Dyer
Ingram Content Group
(615) 213-4311

Re: Endeca to Solr Migration

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
Yes. I think so, but the scope seems challenging.

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:13 PM, mrg81 <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mikhail. In your opinion, is this something that be done in 4-6
> months?

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev
Principal Engineer,
Grid Dynamics

<http://www.griddynamics.com>
 <mk...@griddynamics.com>

Re: Endeca to Solr Migration

Posted by mrg81 <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Endeca to Solr Migration

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
Hello,
Please check inlined below

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM, mrg81 <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello --
>
>     I wanted to get some details on Endeca to Solr Migration. I am
> interested in few topics:
>
> 1. We would like to migrate the Faceted Navigation, Boosting individual
> records and a few other items.
> 2. But the biggest question is about the UI [Experience Manager] - I have
> not found a tool that comes close to Experience Manager. I did read about
> Hue [In response to Gareth's question on Migration], but it seems that we
> will have to do a lot of customization to use that.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is there a UI that we can use? Is it possible to un-hook the Experience
> Manager UI and point to Solr?

 AFAIK, Experience Manager is close to Adobe's one, and they are both are
clones of guess what.. http://jackrabbit.apache.org/ (check wiki for jcr or
try to visit day.com). I suppose you can employ almost any CMS system
instead, which you consider affordable and handy.

2. How long does a typical migration take? Assuming that we have to migrate
> the Faceted Navigation and Boosted records?

I suppose it's not a piece of cake.. I suppose that it takes few month mid
size project to launch it. The challenges are:
- Faceted Navigation, which is done via Dimensions, exposed to frontend
that's quite unnatural for Solr. To be honest, Solr doesn't navigate
taxonomies out-of-the-box, but just provides a few hints to do so. Also,
navigating nested SKUs sometimes reveals some gaps, you know...
- Endeca also has some smart text search features like phrase guessing or
so. It's need to research how much you relies on it, and leverage some
Solr's straightforwardness
note:
- whatever boosting not a problem for Solr
- Hue is a data analytic interactive UI or even "IDE", I don't think you
need to look at.

> Thanks

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev