Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Stefan Burkard <ne...@burknet.ch> on 2004/08/27 18:15:27 UTC

download-gateway for slide-documents

hi slide-users

summary about my situation:
first of all, i have a slide-installation that runs in tomcat on a
webserver. there is NO direct access for anybody (because
user-management is already done outside of slide).
all except content is stored in a database on a db-server. content is
stored in the filesystem of the webserver

additionally i have an existing website that is driven by macromedia
coldfusion. authenticated users can access some extra pages to search
and download documents - and these documents are stored in slide

i realised the search for documents with a direct search in the
slide-metadata (in the database); thats running fine. with this search i
can show a list of documents, stored in slide, that match the
search-criteria.

the remaining problem is now: how can i give the users the possibility
to download a document "out of slide" when theres no access to slide?

best way would be if i could read the document in any way and then
"connect" the http-request of the user with this "bytestream". so lets
call it a download-gateway for slide-documents.

is there anything in slide that could help me for this case? i even hope
anybody understands what i mean :-)

greetings
stefan

Re: download-gateway for slide-documents

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
You could use the WebDAV client API or the Jakarta Commons HTTP
client to connect to Slide from your service. Get the
InputStream and copy it to the OutputStream of the user's
request. Of course Slide must be accessible for the service, not
for the users.

Things become interesting when you implement unbuffered
streaming of the content and support chunked transfer-encoding
etc.

Regards,

Andreas