Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Ramakrishna R <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/17 12:13:21 UTC

Datasource with Apache Felix.

Team,

I want to know how to configure datasource in Felix container. I have a
blueprint that contains datasource info, this i want to make work in Felix.
In Karaf when i put it in deploy folder it works perfectly. Am not getting
a direction as how to achive this in felix.

--
Cheers

RamaKrishna RV

Re: Datasource with Apache Felix.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
To use a blueprint datasource in pure felix you would need to install
blueprint and its dependencies.
If you do not use blueprint for anything else then I would rather
publish the datasource using a simple bundle with just OSGi API.
Simply create and publish the DataSource in an Activator.

An alternative is to use pax-jdbc. See
https://ops4j1.jira.com/wiki/display/PAXJDBC/Create+DataSource+from+config
It allows to create the DataSource from just a config admin configuration.

Christian

Am 17.12.2014 12:13, schrieb Ramakrishna R:
> Team,
>
> I want to know how to configure datasource in Felix container. I have a
> blueprint that contains datasource info, this i want to make work in Felix.
> In Karaf when i put it in deploy folder it works perfectly. Am not getting
> a direction as how to achive this in felix.

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Datasource with Apache Felix.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Jochen,

In that case, for a 10 years container, what's the difference (in term
of changes and maintenance) between Felix Framework and Karaf Container ?

Regards
JB

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Datasource with Apache Felix.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
The problem with the easy/flexible/enterprise ready container on top
of the framework is, that a real lot of users (including me) cannot
use it, because their applications *must* run within a
difficult/inflexible/enterprise ready 10 years ago container. Or, in
other words: A solution must be available outside Karaf anyways.

Jochen

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
> I agree, but Karaf is flexible enough to create your own custom
> distribution, where you easily assembly what you need.
> I know that some of you may think that OSGi is enough by itself, and a
> container doesn't make sense, but I disagree about that. Providing an
> easy/flexible/enterprise ready container on top of the framework is very
> interesting for the users.
>
> My $0.02
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 12/17/2014 03:22 PM, Milen Dyankov wrote:
>>
>> Well if someone says he wants to use B instead of A, I assume he/she has
>> his reasons. That's why I tend to avoid answering like "just stay with A"
>> as it doesn't really help. Besides, you don't really need everything Karaf
>> comes with, in order to define and use datasources. Depends on the use
>> case
>> one may end up anywhere between installing 2-3 bundles to building custom
>> Karaf.
>>
>> Best,
>> Milen
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> if at the end, you install the same bundles as in Karaf (where we also
>>> bring some configuration and convenient commands), the question is why
>>> not
>>> directly using Karaf ;)
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB

>>> --
>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>> jbonofre@apache.org
>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Our time is just a point along a line that runs forever with no end.
(Al Stewart, Lord Grenville)

Re: Datasource with Apache Felix.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It makes sense. My point was just about installing a bunch of bundles on
top of Felix to "mimic" what Karaf already provides.

Regards
JB

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Datasource with Apache Felix.

Posted by Milen Dyankov <mi...@gmail.com>.

http://about.me/milen

Re: Datasource with Apache Felix.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I agree, but Karaf is flexible enough to create your own custom
distribution, where you easily assembly what you need.
I know that some of you may think that OSGi is enough by itself, and a
container doesn't make sense, but I disagree about that. Providing an
easy/flexible/enterprise ready container on top of the framework is very
interesting for the users.

My $0.02

Regards
JB

On 12/17/2014 03:22 PM, Milen Dyankov wrote:
> Well if someone says he wants to use B instead of A, I assume he/she has
> his reasons. That's why I tend to avoid answering like "just stay with A"
> as it doesn't really help. Besides, you don't really need everything Karaf
> comes with, in order to define and use datasources. Depends on the use case
> one may end up anywhere between installing 2-3 bundles to building custom
> Karaf.
>
> Best,
> Milen
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> if at the end, you install the same bundles as in Karaf (where we also
>> bring some configuration and convenient commands), the question is why not
>> directly using Karaf ;)
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>

>> On 12/17/2014 02:44 PM, Milen Dyankov wrote:
>>
>>> You probably know this but just to make it clear - Karaf is not directly
>>> comparable with Felix. It can use Felix or Equinox but it comes OOTB with
>>> many bundles pre-installed. That is why your datasource "works" in Karaf.
>>> It will work in Felix if you have appropriate bundles (that understand
>>> what
>>> datasource is, how is defined and how to deal with it) installed. In your
>>> case this is first the blueprint impl to process your blueprint config.
>>> Then it depend on what really a 'datasource' is in your case you'll need
>>> some more. Have a look at
>>> https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/karaf/
>>> features/enterprise/3.0.2/enterprise-3.0.2-features.xml
>>> to see what Karaf uses if you want to stick with those implementations.
>>> There you'll see a "jdbc", "jpa", ... features and what bundles they
>>> consists of. Depending on what exactly is your use case, you may or may
>>> not
>>> need to install all of them!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Milen