Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/07/02 04:53:27 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant-myrmidon/framework/src/java/org/apache/myrmidon/framework ExecuteTarget.java

At 12:50 PM 7/2/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:21, Peter Donald wrote:
> > At 02:18 AM 7/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
> > >   Log:
> > >   - Renamed Embeddor.setupListener() to createListener(), for better
> > > match with
> > >     the other Embeddor methods.
> > >
> > >   - Changed Embeddor.execute() to take a list of targets to execute.
> > > Allows execution of more than one target in the same workspace.
> > >
> > >   - Frontend now executes all targets given on the command-line in the
> > > same workspace, rather than creating a new workspace for each target.
> >
> > It was a deliberate choice not to do that as many people bitched about
> > ant1.x doing this. ie Quite a few bug reports eventually boil down to
> >
> > "ant clean main" should be equivelent to "ant clean; ant main"
> >
> > However making both targets execute in same workspace moves us back to
> > ant1.x model. Thoughts?
>
>I was planning on adding a command-line option to let the user choose how
>they
>want the targets to be executed.  The default will be to execute them all in
>a single workspace (which I think is the more useful option).

How come you think this is more useful?

I would really prefer the old style as default as people have complained
about it not being that way before.

Cheers,

Peter Donald
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant-myrmidon/framework/src/java/org/apache/myrmidon/framework ExecuteTarget.java

Posted by Adam Murdoch <ad...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:53, Peter Donald wrote:
> At 12:50 PM 7/2/2002 +1000, you wrote:

> > > It was a deliberate choice not to do that as many people bitched about
> > > ant1.x doing this. ie Quite a few bug reports eventually boil down to
> > >
> > > "ant clean main" should be equivelent to "ant clean; ant main"
> > >
> > > However making both targets execute in same workspace moves us back to
> > > ant1.x model. Thoughts?
> >
> >I was planning on adding a command-line option to let the user choose how
> >they
> >want the targets to be executed.  The default will be to execute them all
> > in a single workspace (which I think is the more useful option).
>
> How come you think this is more useful?

Because it does the minimum amount of work to achieve what the user has asked
for.  For something like 'ant clean main' it makes no difference; 'clean' and
'main' aren't going to share much (if any) of the dependency graph.  But for
something like, say, 'ant test dist-lite', both targets share a large chunk
of the graph.  I really don't want the 'dist-lite' target to run over my
source a second time, just so it can figure out that there's nothing that
needs doing.

> I would really prefer the old style as default as people have complained
> about it not being that way before.

People have complained about both styles.  It has to be easy for the user to
do whichever they prefer (probably a good config file option).  I really
don't care what the default is.  I'll make it new-workspace-per-target (er,
the old style, I think).

--
Adam