Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/30 17:06:32 UTC

Should we deprecate shareSchema?

It seems like if we're going to named config sets, that we should
deprecate shareSchema. I can imagine rather arcane use cases for
sharing _only_ the schema between various cores, but that seems like a
case adequately handled by named config sets.

I'll open a JIRA if this seems reasonable.

Erick

Re: Should we deprecate shareSchema?

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>wrote:

> It seems like if we're going to named config sets, that we should
> deprecate shareSchema. I can imagine rather arcane use cases for
> sharing _only_ the schema between various cores, but that seems like a
> case adequately handled by named config sets.
>
> I'll open a JIRA if this seems reasonable.
>
> Erick

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Should we deprecate shareSchema?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
See SOLR-4779 on the theory that there's enough interest to create a
JIRA and move the discussion there for posterity.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 30, 2013, at 2:16 PM, Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> wrote:

> More useful in ZK mode would be a simple way to refer to sharing SOME but not all files from another config set. So if you want the same schema for 10 different cores, they could say something like this in core properties: schema=cnf://myConf/schema.xml

I don't think that's worth the extra complication myself.

- Mark

Re: Should we deprecate shareSchema?

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
I've never used it myself, so I'm fine with deprecating.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com