Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2014/02/17 21:42:44 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.2 RC1 as 2.2

2.2 fixes a few bugs and adds a new testOnCreate() feature that is
required by DBCP 2.

The Pool 2.2 RC1 is available for review here:
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/ (r4424)

Maven artifacts are here:
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1008

Details of changes since 2.1 are in the release notes and changelog:
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
  http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/pool-2.2-RC1-site/changes-report.html

 The tag is here:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_2_RC1/
  (r 1569090)

 Site:
  http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/pool-2.2-RC1-site
  (Broken links to Javadoc versions expected)

 KEYS:
  http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

  Please review the release candidate and vote.
  This vote will close no sooner than 72 hours from now

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.2 RC1 as 2.2

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1

Sorry for delay in review / vote.

Since we do not distribute the SHA-1 hashes, this is not a blocker /
issue; but these files have alpha characters upper case, which does
not agree with what openssl generates.  I am curious how you
generated the SHA-1 hashes.  Normally, I think mvn generates hashes
with lower case alpha characters.

Phil

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/02/2014 16:35, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 4:19 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 18/02/2014 05:26, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>> Problem with the site: on the main page under "Migrating from Pool 2.0",
>>> the current version described is 2.1, not 2.2.
>>>
>>> I would rename this section "Migrating to Pool 2.1 from 2.0" and add a
>> new
>>> section "Migrating to Pool 2.2 from 2.1". The "Migrating from Pool 1.x"
>>> section should then be renamed "Migrating to Pool 2.0 from 1.x". This
>> will
>>> give migrations a clearer set of docs IMO.
>>
>> Yes, that needs some work. I'll take a look.
>>
>> I'd prefer it if this page didn't need to be updated with every release
>> as that adds to the work required for each release as well as adding
>> another place where something can be overlooked requiring a new RC.
>>

> The page only has to be updated if the user has to migrate anything. If a
> release is 100% source and binary compatible, you do not have to say
> anything.

The way the page was structured it needed to be updated for every
release. I agree it should only need changing if there are migration
issues to mention (which there shouldn't be). The new wording should
address that.

> IMO, it would be better to say something, but that's just me,
> hopefully the site has a like to the RN file so I can look there.

It has a link to the changes file but not the release notes. The site
building process doesn't appear to copy the release notes else I could
just add a link.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 4:19 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18/02/2014 05:26, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > Problem with the site: on the main page under "Migrating from Pool 2.0",
> > the current version described is 2.1, not 2.2.
> >
> > I would rename this section "Migrating to Pool 2.1 from 2.0" and add a
> new
> > section "Migrating to Pool 2.2 from 2.1". The "Migrating from Pool 1.x"
> > section should then be renamed "Migrating to Pool 2.0 from 1.x". This
> will
> > give migrations a clearer set of docs IMO.
>
> Yes, that needs some work. I'll take a look.
>
> I'd prefer it if this page didn't need to be updated with every release
> as that adds to the work required for each release as well as adding
> another place where something can be overlooked requiring a new RC.

The page only has to be updated if the user has to migrate anything. If a
release is 100% source and binary compatible, you do not have to say
anything. IMO, it would be better to say something, but that's just me,
hopefully the site has a like to the RN file so I can look there.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.2 RC1 as 2.2

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Both Maven and ant builds run fine under Windows 8.1 with Java 1.7.
Sites and artifacts look good.

I agree with sebb that the errors in the clirr report should be
mentioned in the release notes. Otherwise, I found no problems.

Oliver

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 2:28 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 February 2014 18:51, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> >> Sigs and hashes OK.
> >> Source archive agrees with SVN tag apart from as noted below

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1008

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> >>>
> http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/pool-2.2-RC1-site/changes-report.html

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_2_RC1/
> >>
> >> Some shell scripts and download_pool.cgi have SVN eol=native.
> >> Any objections if I change these to LF in trunk?
> >
> > Yes. What is the point? eol=native means they are easier to work with.
>
> The EOL will be incorrect in the source archive unless the archive is
> created on a system with EOL=LF
> Or unless some other means of fixing the EOL is applied, e.g. updating
> the assembly descriptor.
>
> >> The shell scripts are missing from the source release - I assume that
> >> is intentional?
> >
> > If you mean the pool*.sh scripts then yes.
> >
> >> However, 3 source files in SVN doc/ folder are missing from the source
> release.
> >> I don't think that should be the case.
> >
> > Agreed. Need to figure out how to get those included.
>
> Just update the assembly descriptor(s).
>
> >> The doap file is also not in the source release; that is to be expected.

> >> The Clirr report shows two errors.
> >> These are due to updating the interfaces
> >> GenericKeyedObjectPoolMXBean
> >> and
> >> GenericObjectPoolMXBean
> >>
> >> The Javadoc for these interfaces states that they are subject to
> >> change between major releases.
> >> However this is a minor release.
> >>
> >> The Clirr errors need to be explained in the Release Notes.
> >> Do they have an impact on user code?
> >> If not, why not?
> >
> > No, they don't. We went through this for the 2.1 release. See the
> > archives for why this is OK.

WRT::

> Please can the details be added to the Release Notes?
> It's not exactly easy for the casual reader to find the information
> from the archives.

+1

Gary

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/02/2014 19:28, sebb wrote:
> On 18 February 2014 18:51, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Sigs and hashes OK.
>>> Source archive agrees with SVN tag apart from as noted below

>>> Some shell scripts and download_pool.cgi have SVN eol=native.
>>> Any objections if I change these to LF in trunk?
>>
>> Yes. What is the point? eol=native means they are easier to work with.
>
> The EOL will be incorrect in the source archive unless the archive is
> created on a system with EOL=LF
> Or unless some other means of fixing the EOL is applied, e.g. updating
> the assembly descriptor.

That looks like the better option as it fixes all the other files as well.

>>> However, 3 source files in SVN doc/ folder are missing from the source release.
>>> I don't think that should be the case.
>>
>> Agreed. Need to figure out how to get those included.
>
> Just update the assembly descriptor(s).

Scratch that. As per Phil's response that is intentional. I'll add a
comment to those files.

>>> The Clirr report shows two errors.
>>> These are due to updating the interfaces
>>> GenericKeyedObjectPoolMXBean
>>> and
>>> GenericObjectPoolMXBean
>>>
>>> The Javadoc for these interfaces states that they are subject to
>>> change between major releases.
>>> However this is a minor release.
>>>
>>> The Clirr errors need to be explained in the Release Notes.
>>> Do they have an impact on user code?
>>> If not, why not?
>>
>> No, they don't. We went through this for the 2.1 release. See the
>> archives for why this is OK.
>
> Please can the details be added to the Release Notes?
> It's not exactly easy for the casual reader to find the information
> from the archives.

I'll look at improving the wording in the Javadoc and adding something
to the release notes.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 2/18/14, 10:51 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 18/02/2014 18:24, sebb wrote:
>> On 17 February 2014 20:42, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> 2.2 fixes a few bugs and adds a new testOnCreate() feature that is
>>> required by DBCP 2.
>>>

>>> The Pool 2.2 RC1 is available for review here:
>>>   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/ (r4424)
>> Sigs and hashes OK.
>> Source archive agrees with SVN tag apart from as noted below
>>
>>> Maven artifacts are here:
>>>   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1008
>>>
>>> Details of changes since 2.1 are in the release notes and changelog:
>>>   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>>   http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/pool-2.2-RC1-site/changes-report.html
>>>
>>>  The tag is here:
>>>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_2_RC1/
>>>   (r 1569090)
>> Some shell scripts and download_pool.cgi have SVN eol=native.
>> Any objections if I change these to LF in trunk?
> Yes. What is the point? eol=native means they are easier to work with.
>
>> The shell scripts are missing from the source release - I assume that
>> is intentional?
> If you mean the pool*.sh scripts then yes.
>
>> However, 3 source files in SVN doc/ folder are missing from the source release.
>> I don't think that should be the case.
> Agreed. Need to figure out how to get those included.

I don't think those files are necessary.  They are just the source
files for the examples in the site xdoc.  They are not part of the
source distro, not required to build the site.

Phil

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

[VOTE][CANCELLED] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.2 RC1 as 2.2

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
No code issues but a few minor things that could be fixed with the docs.
I'll get those fixed and then roll RC2.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,

I won't have the time before wednesday evening (CET) before I can review a
RC.

Benedikt

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.2 RC1 as 2.2

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18/02/2014 05:01, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > Since you'll reroll the RC to fix the release notes for the version, you
> > might has well update to commons-parent 33 to pick up the new skin.
>
> Why do I need to reroll the RC to fix the release notes?

Because the RN file is part of the release, specifically, the source zip,
which is the primary artifact that the ASF releases.

The tag should reflect what we publish for a given RC. The tag for the 2.2
RC will be a copy of the tag for the RC that was voted on and passed.

That tag should include the release notes with the label "2.2", not "2.1".
Hence the request to have it all in sync. It's not the first time that a
new RC would include a fix for the release notes.

Gary

The only issue

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/02/2014 05:01, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Since you'll reroll the RC to fix the release notes for the version, you
> might has well update to commons-parent 33 to pick up the new skin.

Why do I need to reroll the RC to fix the release notes? The only issue

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 17/02/2014 20:48, Gary Gregory wrote:
> In https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt:
>
> - The release notes still say "2.1" and

Left overs from the 2.1 release. Now fixed. (r4426).

> - some entries appear to be missing a JIRA number.

Not all changes have an associated Jira issue.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.