Posted to dev@druid.apache.org by Jonathan Wei <jo...@apache.org> on 2018/07/18 20:57:37 UTC

Late June/July podling reports

We neglected to submit podling reports for June and July, so I put together
reports for those two months.

I'm putting them here for internal review first, please comment if you have
any feedback/changes.

June:
Druid (As of June 01, 2018)

Druid is a high-performance, column-oriented, distributed data store.

Druid has been incubating since 2018-02-28.

 1. Move the source code and website to Apache infrastructure.
 2. Plan and execute our first Apache release.
 3. Expanding the community and adding more committers

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

- None.

- A healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new
features
  are still ongoing on https://github.com/druid-io/druid.

- SGA and ICLA status sorted out, ready to migrate source to Apache repo
- Since the last report there have been 22 commits from 12 individuals.
- We have conducted a vote to put out the 0.12.1 release. This release
candidate is being done outside the Incubator.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

- Druid 0.12.0 on 2018-03-06 (non-Apache release)
- No official Apache release yet since beginning Apache Incubation

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

- Project is still functioning with the initial set of committers.

July

Druid (As of July 01, 2018)

Druid is a high-performance, column-oriented, distributed data store.

Druid has been incubating since 2018-02-28.

 1. Move the source code and website to Apache infrastructure.
 2. Plan and execute our first Apache release.
 3. Expanding the community and adding more committers

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

- None.

- A healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new
features
  are still ongoing on https://github.com/druid-io/druid.

- Source migration to Apache infrastructure is in progress (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16674)
- Since the last report there have been 47 commits from 14 individuals.
- We have released 0.12.1, a non-incubator release.
- We are working on 0.12.2, a bug fix release. To get the bug fixes to
users faster, this will be another non-incubator release.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

- Druid 0.12.1 on 2018-06-08 (non-Apache release)

Re: Late June/July podling reports

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
For the first 3 months podlings report monthly, then switch to quarterly. IIRC, Druid just transitioned to quarterly. See https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#podling_status_reports <https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#podling_status_reports> and podlings.xml.

It’s a nice idea to submit a report (since you missed last month’s), but it’s a bit late - the board meeting was today. You should file the report 2 weeks before the meeting. That gives the incubator a week to compose its report, then a week to get mentor sign off and for the board to read it before the meeting.

The board meeting is generally the 3rd Wednesday of the month: see https://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html <https://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html>. So plan on writing the report on the first Wednesday of the month.

Posted by Jonathan Wei <jo...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the info, Julian/Taylor.

> It seems more useful to write about the current state today.

> Since Druid has missed those reports, it’s due to report next month. I’d
recommend merging them into one, and make sure they get posted on time.

Sounds good, I'll submit a combined report covering June/July/August for
the upcoming August report date then.

- Jon

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gian Merlino <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for putting together and sharing the reports on dev@ Jonathan.

Since Druid has missed those reports, it’s due to report next month. I’d recommend merging them into one, and make sure they get posted on time.

As a mentor I would recommend making every effort possible to report on time. It may seem like a pain, but quarterly reports are important because they document for the IPMC how a project is progressing.

IMHO, failing to report sends a bad signal to the IPMC. It’s a quarterly task that shouldn’t take much longer than an hour or so. That’s not a big time commitment, and any member of the PPMC can do it.

I’d suggest having someone (or several) volunteer as the report coordinator for the reporting period. You could rotate it, or not. It can be a collaborative effort, or one person. It’s up to the project to decide, but I’d recommend figuring out something since the same reporting requirement applies to TLPs.

Just a friendly suggestion from a mentor. ;)

-Taylor