Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as> on 2012/07/01 16:29:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] 4.8.0 Release

I was able to compile the SDK with no unexpected errors (the only errors
reported were missing directories), by following the README.

Is the Adobe Extension Manager required?  I don't have CS5 / CS6 installed
on this laptop, so I left the env.properties that had to do with it blank,
but I don't really remember that one being discussed.  It seemed to compile
fine and did not effect the end results in my projects.

I've run the compiled 4.8.0 through about a dozen or so of my projects so
far with no changes or adverse effects.  Things are looking good, but I
will hold off my vote until I have verified that ALL of my projects compile
and produce the same result.

I do have some minor patches I want to submit in regards to the README and
the env.properties.template.   In going through them with a fine-tooth
comb, I did find a few corrections I'd like to make to make it a bit
clearer what we want the user to input.  Is it kosher to push those now, or
should I wait until the vote is complete (These changes are not worth
down-voting the release, but I feel they should be in there).

Thanks Carol and Alex for your hard work on this one!  Finally getting to
the point where I can break out that bottle of champagne :)

-Nick Kwiatkowski

Re: [DISCUSS] 4.8.0 Release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I was able to compile the SDK with no unexpected errors (the only errors
> reported were missing directories), by following the README.
No issue with that here either. Release build for me has issues.

> Is the Adobe Extension Manager required?
It's not required and can be blank AFAIK. Probably should be noted in the readme.

> I do have some minor patches I want to submit in regards to the README and
> the env.properties.template.
I think the readme needs to clarify Linux support. It's mentioned for pixel builder but it's not under supported platforms. It's also not 100% clear what platforms you can compile upon (IMO).

The env.properties.template has a few minor issues but agree nothing that should stop a release eg "0n" (zero n)  instead on "On" and "dependending" occurs a few times.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] 4.8.0 Release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/1/12 7:29 AM, "Nicholas Kwiatkowski" <ni...@spoon.as> wrote:

> I was able to compile the SDK with no unexpected errors (the only errors
> reported were missing directories), by following the README.
>
> Is the Adobe Extension Manager required?  I don't have CS5 / CS6 installed
> on this laptop, so I left the env.properties that had to do with it blank,
> but I don't really remember that one being discussed.  It seemed to compile
> fine and did not effect the end results in my projects.
Extension Manager is only required by release managers and those who need
flash integration in order to build the MXP for the flash integration kit.
If you are not using that feature then you don't need Extension Manager

> I've run the compiled 4.8.0 through about a dozen or so of my projects so
> far with no changes or adverse effects.  Things are looking good, but I
> will hold off my vote until I have verified that ALL of my projects compile
> and produce the same result.
>
> I do have some minor patches I want to submit in regards to the README and
> the env.properties.template.   In going through them with a fine-tooth
> comb, I did find a few corrections I'd like to make to make it a bit
> clearer what we want the user to input.  Is it kosher to push those now, or
> should I wait until the vote is complete (These changes are not worth
> down-voting the release, but I feel they should be in there).
If you feel your changes don't need discussion, then go ahead and push them.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team