Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/02 10:17:37 UTC

does anyone use the "row label bindings" stuff in Vector / Matrix?

Doesn't look like they're used anywhere but tests.

In the spirit of removing clutter, I suggest we rip that stuff out!  It's
really not that unreasonable to carry around BiMap<String, Integer>
dictionary to translate between feature labels and featureIds outside a
Matrix rather than "set" it on the matrix itself.

  -jake

Re: does anyone use the "row label bindings" stuff in Vector / Matrix?

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
I added serialization for them in order to serialized ConfusionMatrix. I
have since discovered that SequenceFile includes a metadata store!. The
labels could be parked there as well. Or, CM could save NamedVectors since,
after all, the labels are the same for the rows and columns so storing it
in the rows is enough.

Yeah, the label stuff is really a pain in the neck and I've seen a few
places where they disappear.

Lance

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: does anyone use the "row label bindings" stuff in Vector / Matrix?

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On 02.11.2011 Jake Mannix wrote:
> I'll leave this thread open until after work tonight (8 hrs or so from
> now), and if I don't hear any vociferous complaints or reasoned thoughts on
> why this is crazy, I'll chop 'em.

+1 for the cleanup, however if you are leaving the thread open for that purpose,
you might want to at least wait a day until people in all time zones had a
chance to read it.

Isabel

Re: does anyone use the "row label bindings" stuff in Vector / Matrix?

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
Ok, we can always resurrect it.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@Narus.com>.
+1 from me too. IIRC this all got added when we were annotating Vectors too and there we ended up with NamedVector as a wrapper. If this Matrix annotation is not being used then let's clean it up.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Let's nuke it.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
It seems like a good idea, but it definitely is not impossible to work
around the lack.

Having the labels should make certain forms of cluster dumping easier, but
for all the stuff I do with hashed representations, the hashing destroys
any utility of labels.

It may be that label utility is related to the interactive nature of R.
 Without the interactivity, it is just much less important to have a
built-in labeling system.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2011, at 11:50 AM, Jake Mannix wrote:
>
> > Ah, ok, I was looking at an older source tree.  Then in that case, no
> > *release*
> > we've had touches them, and nowhere in the codebase does anyone
> > currently use the bindings, even if it is the case that if you *did* use
> > them,
> > they would indeed get serialized with the matrix.
>
> Are you sure about that?  I thought that was something we added a long
> time ago.  Perhaps it doesn't look released b/c some of that stuff got
> moved around?

I'm looking at a branch which was not too old.  The row-label stuff was in
for
ages, but wasn't serizlied with the matrix.

Note: this only applies to a Matrix which lives in memory -
DistritubedRowMatrix
doesn't have any of this stuff anyways.

> Makes sense.  Of course, if you don't use them, there's no harm, right?

All in the name of simpler APIs and reducing code clutter.  Same reason
we removed the Vector.addTo() method (which actually *was* being used,
actually).

> I'm not against removing them, but it does strike me that we had a pretty

lengthy discussion about them way back when and Ted and Jeff went

through a few iterations to add them in.

Ted, Jeff, anyone want to speak up for this functionality?

Users out there?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
These labels are here by analogy with R data.frames where having the labels
inside the data is really handy.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> them,
> they would indeed get serialized with the matrix.

Are you sure about that?  I thought that was something we added a long time ago.  Perhaps it doesn't look released b/c some of that stuff got moved around?

> Which is why I was asking the question: does anyone use these, or even
> remember they really exist?  I do lots of processing with matrices which
> happen to have both row and column labels, but it's really not a terribly
> bit hassle to know you have to hang onto a dictionary somehwhere which
> translates the ids to labels.  In fact, it's far more often that I find I'm
> reusing
> the same dictionary again and again as I'm exploring the data set,
> rebuilding
> the numeric matrix in different ways.  In this case, the dictionaries live
> on
> HDFS all nice and safe, and I've got a pile of numeric serialized
> (DistributedRow-)Matrix instances which all use that dictionary, but don't
> replicate it with them.

Makes sense.  Of course, if you don't use them, there's no harm, right?

I'm not against removing them, but it does strike me that we had a pretty lengthy discussion about them way back when and Ted and Jeff went through a few iterations to add them in.

>  -jake
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 2, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Jake Mannix wrote:

>>> I'm suggesting we kill, from Matrix.java and descendents, all of the
>>> following methods:
>>>
>>> Map<String, Integer> getColumnLabelBindings();
>>> Map<String, Integer> getRowLabelBindings();
>>> void setColumnLabelBindings(Map<String, Integer> bindings);
>>> void setRowLabelBindings(Map<String, Integer> bindings);
>>> double get(String rowLabel, String columnLabel);
>>> void set(String rowLabel, String columnLabel, double value);
>>> void set(String rowLabel, String columnLabel, int row, int column,
>> double
>>> value);
>>> void set(String rowLabel, double[] rowData);
>>> void set(String rowLabel, int row, double[] rowData);

>> when
>> via
>> issue,
>>>

>>> MatrixWritable does not, in fact, serialize the labels along with the
>>> matrix, it turns out.  There are two methods for (de-)serializing them
>>> separately:
>>>
>>> public static void readLabels(DataInput in,
>>>                               Map<String, Integer> columnLabelBindings,
>>>                               Map<String, Integer> rowLabelBindings)
>>> throws IOException;
>>>
>>> public static void writeLabelBindings(DataOutput out,
>>>                                       Map<String, Integer>
>>> columnLabelBindings,
>>>                                       Map<String, Integer>
>>> rowLabelBindings) throws IOException;
>>>
>>> but neither of these are used anywhere in the codebase (even in tests).
>>>

>> writeMatrix calls them.  Line 162 of MatrixWritable.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: does anyone use the "row label bindings" stuff in Vector / Matrix?

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
What functionality, specifically, are you proposing to remove?  I know we had a lot of discussion around some of this stuff way back when as to how best to do it, but of course, that doesn't mean it has uptake.  If it's on the Matrix, then doesn't it more easily get shipped around via the Writables vs. requiring the user to do that?   Not sure it is an issue, but it's one less piece of code someone else has to write.