Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Szczepan Faber <sz...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/13 16:03:46 UTC

[M2] how to setup proxy in POM?

Hi,

How to setup proxy from Maven2 in pom file? I know I can do it in
settings.xml, but that does not work for m2 eclipse plugin. That is
why I'd like to setup proxy in pom.

Thanks,
Szczepan

Re: [m2] Maven 2 does not work in 4NT v5.00

Posted by Rune Flobakk <rf...@online.no>.
and... it works with 4NT v7.01 here too. Guess I have to fork out the
upgrade price. Anyway, it's solved. For some reason Maven2 won't work in
4NT 5.00, but who cares...

Rune

Re: [m2] Maven 2 does not work in 4NT (Windows XP Pro SP2)

Posted by Rune Flobakk <rf...@online.no>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
A little bit OT, but here's another console I like wich is free :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/console

On 3/13/06, Rune Flobakk <rf...@online.no> wrote:
> Hehe, yes sure. Have been using this shell exclusively for years. And
> does occasionally run Java applications from it too ;)
>

> Wayne Fay wrote:
> > NoClassDefFoundError is a generic Java problem. Can you run any other
> > Java apps in 4NT? I assume so, but figured I'd ask...
> >
> > Wayne
> >

> > On 3/13/06, Rune Flobakk <rf...@online.no> wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I've finally come around to installing Maven 2 here, and ran straight
> >> into problems. After setting the M2_HOME environment variable to my
> >> maven install dir, I tried 'mvn --version' to verify the install. And I
> >> got this error:
> >>
> >> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> >> org/codehaus/classworlds/Launcher
> >>
> >> After several days of searching on Google, and also tried to download
> >> v2.1-SNAPSHOT and install it, I just now suddenly thought "Hmmm, what if
> >> I try it in the regular CMD shell instead of 4NT (which I've used since
> >> doodling with a 386 machine)." And it worked. Maven 2 purrs like a
> >> kitten, and everything is fine.
> >>
> >> OK, sorry about that over-elaborated story above. I am wondering if
> >> there is any way of fixing this issue with 4NT as I don't want to leave
> >> my beloved shell. (I need to get out more...)
> >>
> >> Is this a known issue at all? I really have no idea why it won't work in
> >> 4NT and it's the first time I've ever experienced apparently fatal
> >> differences between 4NT and CMD.
> >>
> >> Please tell me if I should provide any more info! And thanks for any
> >> comments!
> >>

> >> Rune Flobakk

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: [m2] Maven 2 does not work in 4NT (Windows XP Pro SP2)

Posted by Rune Flobakk <rf...@online.no>.
I should maybe also mention that I've been using Maven1 for about a year
with no problems running it in 4NT.

Rune

Posted by Rune Flobakk <rf...@online.no>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: [M2] how to setup proxy in POM?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Found a webpage that should help:

http://help.eclipse.org/help21/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tasks/running_eclipse.htm

Advanced Topics in Running Eclipse
The Eclipse executable and the platform itself offer a number of
execution options of interest to people developing or debugging parts
of Eclipse. The general form of running the Eclipse executable is:

eclipse [platform options] [-vmargs [Java VM arguments]]

Found that link from this blog:
http://www.luisdelarosa.com/blog/2004/10/how_to_run_ecli.html

Wayne

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> > Everything else (build, run, jar:install, tests) is
> > run with 'maven xyz' from command line, it's easier to manage.
>
> Can you explain how com it may be easier to manage? In my opinion it
> is just inconvenient. Imagine working this way with ant, which is
> tightly incorporated into Eclipse JDT.

Personally I prefer to run Maven outside of my IDE. It guarantees that
my projects will always build 100% with just the scripts, no
requirements for the IDE, and allows me to guarantee that our future
Continuous Integration and Production Deployment efforts will have a
very low probability for errors/gotchas.

Also not everyone likes the same IDE. We have people using Eclipse,
Netbeans, IDEA, SubEthaEdit, etc on a variety (Win32, Linux, Mac OS X,
and of course deployment is on Solaris) of platforms.

Running Maven from the command line is the ONE TRUE TEST that the
project builds and deploys properly. (We deploy locally and to
centralized dev servers.)

Wayne

Re: [M2] how to setup proxy in POM?

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
Szczepan Faber a écrit :

>Are you using 'maven IDE' plugin? The doc says
>(http://mevenide.codehaus.org/mevenide-ui-eclipse/features.html) that
>proxy is not supported as well in this plugin.
>
>How did you make it work in proxied network? I pass vm args
>(-DproxySet, ...) to startup.jar but still with no effect.

As said, I run maven from console. So it downloads it dependencies from
console :)

>>Everything else (build, run, jar:install, tests) is
>>run with 'maven xyz' from command line, it's easier to manage.
>>

>Can you explain how com it may be easier to manage? In my opinion it
>is just inconvenient. Imagine working this way with ant, which is
>tightly incorporated into Eclipse JDT.

1) as someone else stated, it guarantees the maven build process do work
outside ide (i have co-workers which ran unit tests inside eclipse and
dicovered later they didn't run in pure maven because the working
directory was not the same)

2) I find it way faster to do <alt tab> ma<tab> test  (which translates
to switch to console, execute maven with target test) than playing with
mouse to right click on project.xml, select maven, select run, and type
'test' inside target area.

3) Console has an good history of my commands, and i can easily go back
in history to reexecute a command.

4) I can type things like 'for i in project1 project2 project3; do cd
$i; maven jar:install; cd ..; done' :D

Am not a fanatic of the mouse, i like to use the keyboard for
everything. Each time my hand need to go from keyboard to mouse, it's
wasted time. When i can avoid it without requiring too much keyboard
time, i avoid it :)

Re: [M2] how to setup proxy in POM?

Posted by Szczepan Faber <sz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.

Posted by Szczepan Faber <sz...@gmail.com>.
I need to make it work ASAP :)

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
You should use command line arguments as David has suggested, but
proxy support is now in beta I think so it shouldn't be long until it
works out of the box :)

On 3/13/06, Szczepan Faber <sz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use windows, I place following in eclipse.ini with no effect
>
> -DproxySet=true
> -DproxyHost=xxx.com
> -DproxyPort=80
>
> Still, I have always had proxy set in eclipse properties but this only
> works for updates, and some other stuff, but not in Maven 2 plugin.
>

> 2006/3/13, David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>:
> > Did you try editing eclipse startup script to add this to java startup
> > line? This is how you proxy enable any java application.
> >
> > java -DproxySet=true -DproxyHost=myProxyServer.com -DproxyPort=80 MyJavaApp
> >
> > Szczepan Faber a écrit :
> >
> > >I've read that this is the only way to make it work with M2 eclipse plugin.
> > >
> > >Starting here:
> > >http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE-29
> > >
> > >I agree that proxy setting configuration should be the feat of
> > >environment and not project. Did anyone configure the M2 plugin with
> > >eclipse in proxied network? Proxies are very common in IT companies so
> > >the issue really limits use of maven 2.
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Szczepan

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: [M2] how to setup proxy in POM?

Posted by Szczepan Faber <sz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.

Posted by Szczepan Faber <sz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
It is not possible and for a simple reason the proxy setting is not
something consistant across a project. If you could put your proxy
config in your pom.xml, your build could become not portable since a
proxy is a specific environment setting.

Why do you want to do this?

On 3/13/06, Szczepan Faber <sz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How to setup proxy from Maven2 in pom file? I know I can do it in
> settings.xml, but that does not work for m2 eclipse plugin. That is
> why I'd like to setup proxy in pom.
>
> Thanks,
> Szczepan

Alexandre Poitras