Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org> on 2006/06/21 13:28:58 UTC

XML-Security TLP -> Santuario

Board peoples,

Another TLP proposal from the XML project - but with a slight difference.

We are proposing to create a general security software project that has
the xml-security project as a core to build from.

As I mentioned in a previous email - this is not about creating another
super-project (been through that once :>) - it's about having a project
to foster and provide a focal point for security related software within
the foundation.  From our XML experiences we have become quite good at
spinning off "sub projects" - we can use that experience to gauge when
promotion is necessary to defend against inadequate oversite.
(Asssuming it is necessary - I'm not really seeing this as a "project
factory".)

The proposal has been put to the vote both within the xml-security group
and within the XML PMC. (History forwarded as part of this email.)

Something to discuss in the inaugural meeting of the new board!

Cheers,
	Berin

open-source software related to security technologies,
for distribution at no charge to the public.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Santuario
PMC", be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Santuario PMC be and hereby is
related to security technologies, based on software licensed
to the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Santuario"
be and hereby is created, the person holding such
office to serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as
the chair of the Apache Santuario PMC, and to have primary
responsibility for management of the projects within the
scope of responsibility of the Apache Santuario PMC; and be it
further

Apache Santuario PMC:

Axl Mattheus <am...@apache.org>
Berin Lautenbach <bl...@apache.org>
Davanum Srinivas <di...@apache.org>
Raul Benito <ra...@apache.org>
Sean Mullan <mu...@apache.org>
Werner Dittman <we...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Berin Lautenbach
<bl...@apache.org> is appointed to the office of Vice President,
Apache Santuario, to serve in accordance with and subject
to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of
the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Santuario PMC be and
hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
encourage open development and increased participation in the
Apache Santuario Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Santuario PMC be and
hereby is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the
Apache XML PMC, XML Security subproject; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache XML,
XML Security sub-project and encumbered upon the Apache XML PMC
are hereafter discharged.

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Sanjiva,

>From the perspective of WS and the ws-* projects you mention, no change
at all, unless you want to link back and reference to the activities in
Santuario.

On the other hand, one thing the security project would want to do would
be to create a single point where people can come to to get a picture of
all the various security software activities withiin the ASF.  So I
would envisage a set of pointers linking to the various pages within the
ASF web related to the activities such as you mention below.

And as far as I'm concerend, the more input the WS groups want to have
in how we build Santuario the better - hint hint hint :>.

Cheers,
	Berin

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Berin,

let's go with just xml-security...

-- dims

--
Davanum Srinivas : http://people.apache.org/~dims/

Re: XML-Security TLP -> Santuario

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: XML-Security TLP -> Santuario

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

<snip>

> Any given problem at Apache can be solved at least a dozen different
> ways, satisfying different sets of consumers, and reaching independent
> levels of perfections in the minds of their own designers.  We should
> not fear internal competition.
>
> A federation is simply an umbrella project with no significant
> responsibilities of its own -- all of its projects report directly
> to the board and simply view the federation as a communal thing.
> I think XML and Jakarta should already fall into that category.
> Starting one is just like starting a project, except that the
> purpose is limited to community/commons like things and not actual
> products.

Hmmm - I hear what you are saying, and I don't disagree with the basic
thrust.  It's why I've tried to be careful about how I position this.

However the issue I have is that I don't believe a Federation is  ever
going to work in the ASF without the ability to do small products that
are not major projects in and of themselves, but things that will be
useful elsewhere.  (Or is that what you meant by commons?)  On a
personal level, I suspect I'm less focused on code than most people in
the trenches, but if I don't have something technical to focus on I'm
going to get disillusioned quickly.

So we want to create a project that can do components of code (e.g. the
xml-security libraries) but which has a broader focus of fostering
security software within the foundation.

I absolutely *don't* want to create a project that has control of every
bit of security software or to be telling people what should be used or
what should be started up.  Thinking it through - that means the
resolution wording is actually wrong - I'm happy to change it to better
reflect that focus, but I don't want to throw away the ability to have
the code pieces in there.

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: XML-Security TLP -> Santuario

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jun 22, 2006, at 3:01 AM, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> It sounds like a decent idea for a federation, but a terrible idea
>> for a project.  Projects need to be responsible for a product or they
>> just end up in the weeds.  A federation of projects can simply
>> maintain
>> a general mailing list and website.
>
> It would be responsible for code - the current xml-security stuff that
> sits within the XML project/federation.  And it would look to start
> new
> things as well - with an absolute intent to move them to TLP when
> necessary (i.e. when it became clear the Santuario PMC did not have
> direct oversite).
>
> I know we are trying not to create umbrella projects - I'm trying to
> walk a middle ground to see if we can make something like this work
> with
> a community that fosters this area.  It's a bit of a community
> experiment as well as a technical one.

There is no middle ground.  I'll try to explain the problem.

When a project "owns" a category, such as security, the participants
think that they are responsible for all Apache products in that space.
Meanwhile, what they are actually working on is a fairly small project
that addresses the specific requirements of a given set of users, such
as xml-security.  People don't try to make products that are applicable
to every possible consumer in a given category, and volunteers cannot
oversee projects in which they do not actually participate.  What is
left is either a single project that rejects all new target audiences
or an umbrella project that creates an artificial barrier to oversight.

There is no way to broaden the perspective of a project -- people
simply don't wake up one day and discover a need to be aware of
everyone else's work in similar projects, and most people don't
have the bandwidth to do so anyway.  That is why each project has
to be self-governed.

When someone else comes along and says an obvious thing like
"XML is inherently non-secure, I want to work on a security project
that demonstrates a better way of securing blah", the developers in this
so-called "security" project are likely to be offended and make it
socially impossible for that person to participate.  Even if that
is not the case, the perception that it might be the case will cause
potential contributors to go elsewhere rather than express their
ideas for a new project.

The bureaucratic mentality of committees needs to be actively offset
by the board and the only real mechanism the board has to do that is
to make sure the committees don't own categories.  Instead, a PMC
owns a particular product-line and decides for that product-line the
design trade-offs to fit its target audience.  If someone else comes
along with a different audience in mind (but the same category), they
don't have to be compelled to merge with the existing project and we
don't have to abuse users with major incompatible changes -- we just
set up a new product line with its own set of developers.  If the
two projects decide to merge later on, everyone wins.  If not, nobody
loses.

Any given problem at Apache can be solved at least a dozen different
ways, satisfying different sets of consumers, and reaching independent
levels of perfections in the minds of their own designers.  We should
not fear internal competition.

A federation is simply an umbrella project with no significant
responsibilities of its own -- all of its projects report directly
to the board and simply view the federation as a communal thing.
I think XML and Jakarta should already fall into that category.
Starting one is just like starting a project, except that the
purpose is limited to community/commons like things and not actual
products.

....Roy

Re: XML-Security TLP -> Santuario

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.