Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com> on 2017/10/09 03:16:33 UTC

Release, not graduation and md5 was: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

>> John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>: 09.10.17 @ 1:34 <<
> - The podling release should be staged on /dist/dev

It was my understanding that people do prepare the bits somewhere, ask the
community for vote and then the bits get uploaded into some proper location
for real release. At least these were the steps we agree with Bertrand  to
follow:
> > ...I'd like to proceed with a release of HTML/Java API. Am I supposed to
> > send an email like
> > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mail-2Darchives.apach
> > e.org_mod-5Fmbox_incubator-2Dstdcxx-2Ddev_&d=DwIBaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8
> > PQcxBKCX5YTpkKY057SbK10&r=tnLz5-vaI8x9g_xBBlFGf_ldS0-TN1M3i9fMP1FPWgk&m=rM
> > VEpnZBX9gJoeTbmOvIqCUgV5B0NS_8hvS9MyzQvYA&s=yHWRpIFE-JS3rM2j4AOexodAfTkCut
> > 2j0xFT0aVDDHM&e= 200601.mbox/%3c43C1C0A0.7040401@roguewave.com%3e
> > to this mailing list and wait for the votes? ...
>
> Yes that's the idea.
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sling.apache.org_documen
> tation_development_release-2Dmanagement.html&d=DwIBaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8
> PQcxBKCX5YTpkKY057SbK10&r=tnLz5-vaI8x9g_xBBlFGf_ldS0-TN1M3i9fMP1FPWgk&m=rMVE
> pnZBX9gJoeTbmOvIqCUgV5B0NS_8hvS9MyzQvYA&s=meYPReyio78atYPJ1pxZ4H1DK644ZQc5RE
> _i_iVHp5o&e= has another example of a release vote email. The subject should
> say
> "[VOTE] Release..." and not publish - "release" is a very specific
> word at the ASF.
>
> Note also that
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.apache.org_&d=Dw
> IBaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PQcxBKCX5YTpkKY057SbK10&r=tnLz5-vaI8x9g_xBBlFGf_l
> dS0-TN1M3i9fMP1FPWgk&m=rMVEpnZBX9gJoeTbmOvIqCUgV5B0NS_8hvS9MyzQvYA&s=IFAquOO
> yY9hth1WMEMa-SbvcumWBD6bVH0JODCGD4M0&e=  is a more modern mail archive, I
> think mail-archives.apache.org will be decommissioned at
> some point.

Inspired by that I'd just created the file somewhere (I don't think I have
permission to do anything else anyway). I assume somebody will upload it
somewhere then.

> - The podling release must be accompanied by sha, asc, md5 files.

My [VOTE] email has been accompanied with an MD5 checksum:

This is a practice that was used before in one of the emails linked in
previous conversations.

> We
> generally don't do automated builds as podling releases.

History taught me the hard way not to do releases on my local computer. They
tend to be hard to reproduce.

> They are
> typically accompanied by git tags and git commit sha's.

Obviously. When the source code is stored in a source repository, it shall be
associated with a git commit. The ZIP file I provided is indeed derived from a
commit with automatic steps to modify the code into form ready for release.

> As mentioned on the pages I linked, you're missing quite a few things that
> are expected of podling votes.

My summary: I've started the vote process to learn what needs to be done. Thus
any down vote helps. As far as MD5 and proper location goes, I believe I've
provided enough information for somebody uploading the bits to proper release
location (after the community vote) to do the right thing.

-jt

Re: Release, not graduation and md5 was: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 5:36 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I can't follow any of those links.  The fact that they come
> through across multiple lines just makes the email harder to follow...

Yes, those urldefense links are not usable on a public list.

It looks like John has provided the required answers, if not please ask.

-Bertrand

Re: Release, not graduation and md5 was: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,
I tried to tackle this as best as I could:
https://builds.apache.org/view/Incubator%20Projects/job/incubator-netbeans-html4j-release/19/
-jt

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ - someone will need to
create a netbeans directory here (one of your mentors).  Once the release
is approved by the IPMC it gets svn mv'd to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/ .

Here's another example of the files expected:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/ariatosca/0.1.1-incubating/source/