Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> on 2009/12/26 18:54:27 UTC

"Nearby People" (Local Mentors & Local Speakers) web app

Hi All

In Oakland, I knocked up a quick web application to help with two proposed
areas of effort - Local Mentors and Local Speakers.

On one side, there's a web application that people can use to find either
a local mentor (eg someone to go to the pub with who won't know about your
project, but will know about apache in general + any local/language things
to be aware of with involvement in apache), or someone local who's
willingg to talk about the ASF. Behind the scenes, ASFers just need to pop
the appropriate doap:Project tags in their foaf files, and it shows them.

The code for this is now in our svn (it was elsewhere before, as it was
written before the pmc was set up...). My plan is to have a chat with
Infra about hosting the dynamic bits under the main website (probably via
a proxy to another box), and put all the static bits (eg welcome
information, how to list yourself etc) under the main site itself. Does
that sound sensible to everyone?

If you're interested in having a play, it's a Django (python) web app.
Just check it out [1], plus the committers foaf files [2] and our sub
project doap files [3]. Copy local_settings.py.example to
local_settings.py and tell it where the checkouts are. Finally, do
./manage.py runserver and then http://localhost:8000/ will be it.

I intend to style the dynamic pages to look like the main site before
go-live, but anyone with 20 minutes to spare who's a dab hand with css is
most welcome to beat me to it! :)

Otherwise, I'll also aim to get some information on the local mentor
program from my barcamp notes in confluence site, so we've got something
as a starting point.

Nick

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/nearby_people
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/info
[3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/subprojects

Re: "Nearby People" (Local Mentors & Local Speakers) web app

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 26/12/2009 17:54, Nick Burch wrote:
> In Oakland, I knocked up a quick web application to help with two
> proposed areas of effort - Local Mentors and Local Speakers.

> If you're interested in having a play, it's a Django (python) web app.
> Just check it out [1], plus the committers foaf files [2] and our sub
> project doap files [3]. Copy local_settings.py.example to
> local_settings.py and tell it where the checkouts are. Finally, do
> ./manage.py runserver and then http://localhost:8000/ will be it.

This doesn't work. I get IO errors (No such file or directory).

I tracked this down to first not being able to find the subproject rdf
files. It looks in /data/projects but they are in svn in ../subprojects
- I've updated the local_settings.py.example file accordingly.

I've also added a readme.txt to help people get started.

Thanks for this Nick, I'll have a play with it tomorrow assuming the
local garage doesn't get us on the road again quickly.

Ross

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...In the meantime I think it's fine to put it on a zone. We should set up a
>> cron job to test that it is up on a frequent basis and mail this list if
>> not....
>
> Zone sounds good to me, and we can probably add that to
> http://monitoring.apache.org/status/ which includes some zones hosts
> already.

I've created the jira issue at:
and asked for the nagios checks as part of that

> AFAIK zones data isn't backed up, but in this case IIUC all data comes
> from svn. so no problem.

Yup, I agree it shouldn't be an issue for us

Nick

Re: "Nearby People" (Local Mentors & Local Speakers) web app

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
> On 09/01/2010 17:57, Nick Burch wrote:
>> I... fear I may be cracking up. I went to move it to the committers repo,
>> and found I'd already put it in the committers repo back in November...

Now why does this sound familiar to me? ;-)

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...In the meantime I think it's fine to put it on a zone. We should set up a
> cron job to test that it is up on a frequent basis and mail this list if
> not....

Zone sounds good to me, and we can probably add that to
http://monitoring.apache.org/status/ which includes some zones hosts
already.

AFAIK zones data isn't backed up, but in this case IIUC all data comes
from svn. so no problem.

-Bertrand

Re: "Nearby People" (Local Mentors & Local Speakers) web app

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 09/01/2010 17:57, Nick Burch wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Nick Burch wrote:
>>> My proposal to move the files to the committers repo was because it
>>> makes it easier for people to add themselves (no need to check out
>>> another set of files). The easier it is the more likely people are to
>>> add themselves.
>>
>> OK, that works for me. Assuming no-one else chimes in, shall we move
>> it tomorrow?
>
> I fear I may be cracking up. I went to move it to the committers repo,
> and found I'd already put it in the committers repo back in November...!

:-))

Well it was a load of hurried conversations and hacking between other
meetings in Oakland. Not surprising some things slip.

Has infra@ said anything about other options as per my email?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Nick Burch wrote:
>> My proposal to move the files to the committers repo was because it makes
>> it easier for people to add themselves (no need to check out another set of
>> files). The easier it is the more likely people are to add themselves.
>
> OK, that works for me. Assuming no-one else chimes in, shall we move it
> tomorrow?

I fear I may be cracking up. I went to move it to the committers repo, and
found I'd already put it in the committers repo back in November...!

So, I've put the changes from our svn into the one under committers, and
removed the version from our svn. I've also updated the instructions on
the website.

Re: Re: "Nearby People" (Local Mentors & Local Speakers) web app

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> I wonder if we should move the doap files to the committers repo though.
>> Could we not simply just grant all committers rw permissions on the
>> subprojects directory?
>
> My proposal to move the files to the committers repo was because it
> makes it easier for people to add themselves (no need to check out
> another set of files). The easier it is the more likely people are to
> add themselves.

OK, that works for me. Assuming no-one else chimes in, shall we move it
tomorrow?

> However, now I think about it more I wonder if requiring people to edit 2-3
> files is more of a barrier than we need.
>
> I'm now thinking your original approach might be better (sorry).
>
> Anyway, it works as is right now, we can tweak as we go forward.

Going from your system to my original one is something we can do ourselves
for everyone with a foaf file in svn, it'd only need committers to do
something who have externally hosted files. So, hopefully not a big deal
if we did want to change later

Nick

Re: "Nearby People" (Local Mentors & Local Speakers) web app

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 07/01/2010 11:20, Nick Burch wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Note the CWiki site is auto published, so as soon as there is a link
>> to it from
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEVxSITE/Index it will
>> be available on the public site.
>
> I thought it was, so I decided not to link to it just yet :)
>
>> But unless I missed something this is not how it works. We have the
>> two mentor doap files in [1] that are used to indicate speakers and
>> mentors. We should really move those files to the committers repo.
>
> Ah, yes. I originally did my foaf file like that, then you suggested a
> better way, which I coded then forgot...

Right. I'm now wondering if it really is a better way though...

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Note the CWiki site is auto published, so as soon as there is a link to
> it from http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEVxSITE/Index it
> will be available on the public site.

I thought it was, so I decided not to link to it just yet :)

> But unless I missed something this is not how it works. We have the two
> mentor doap files in [1] that are used to indicate speakers and mentors.
> We should really move those files to the committers repo.

Ah, yes. I originally did my foaf file like that, then you suggested a
better way, which I coded then forgot...

I wonder if we should move the doap files to the committers repo though.
Could we not simply just grant all committers rw permissions on the
subprojects directory?

I've updated the instructions assuming we do allow writes, we'll need to
tweak the url in there if we move it instead.

Nick

Re: "Nearby People" (Local Mentors & Local Speakers) web app

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 06/01/2010 21:32, Nick Burch wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Nick Burch wrote:
>> Otherwise, I'll also aim to get some information on the local mentor
>> program from my barcamp notes in confluence site, so we've got
>> something as a starting point.
>
> I've finally done this:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEVxSITE/LocalMentors

Great - thank you.

Note the CWiki site is auto published, so as soon as there is a link to
it from http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEVxSITE/Index it
will be available on the public site.

> Do please all dive in an get it perfect :)

It says:

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Nick Burch wrote:
> Otherwise, I'll also aim to get some information on the local mentor
> program from my barcamp notes in confluence site, so we've got something
> as a starting point.

I've finally done this:
 	http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEVxSITE/LocalMentors
Do please all dive in an get it perfect :)

Once we hear back from infra on the hosting question, I'll put it live

Nick

Re: "Nearby People" (Local Mentors & Local Speakers) web app

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...If you're interested in having a play, it's a Django (python) web app....

Worked for me as advertised, after installing Django from
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/intro/install/ of course.

> ...I intend to style the dynamic pages to look like the main site before
> go-live, but anyone with 20 minutes to spare who's a dab hand with css is
> most welcome to beat me to it! :)...

I have committed a quick styling based on the apache.org stylesheets.

One small thing, http://127.0.0.1:8000/ does show the person type
selector, but http://127.0.0.1:8000/pick_place/ does not.

Great stuff, thanks!

-Bertrand

Re: "Nearby People" (Local Mentors & Local Speakers) web app

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 26/12/2009 17:54, Nick Burch wrote:
> In Oakland, I knocked up a quick web application to help with two
> proposed areas of effort - Local Mentors and Local Speakers.

I saw this working in Oakland - it's great stuff.

Nick, I recently mentioned this on the PRC list since Sally was voicing
her plan to create a speakers registry in the new year. I'll make sure
we liaise appropriately.

> Otherwise, I'll also aim to get some information on the local mentor
> program from my barcamp notes in confluence site, so we've got something
> as a starting point.

Great, stuff. I'm starting to come out of my XMas hibernation. i was
supposed to be home by now, but I appear to have broken a suspension
spring in my car - who said 4x4s were tough?

Ross