Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2015/11/01 10:03:34 UTC

easing Maven parent poms management

Currently, we have 5 Maven parent POMs [1] (not counting Doxia), each with its
own release cycle.
Releasing each separately is a pain. And knowing which pom is at which version
is a pain also.

What would you think of:

1. setting the same version to every Maven parent POM: next would be version
29, since the maximum currently is plugins parent at 28

2. releasing the 5 POMs in only one release

This would mean putting all the poms in pom svn [2] (currently plugins parent
is in plugins, shared in shared, skins in skin...).
I still don't know if the best bet is to make Maven parent the release root:
maven
   |-- plugins
   |-- shared
   |-- skins
   |-- archetypes

or if we should create a new parent that is only used as reactor

any opinion?

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://maven.apache.org/pom/index.html

[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/pom/trunk/maven/

Re: easing Maven parent poms management

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1 for releasing them at the same time where that makes sense

The only case I can see against is if we want to aggregate more into the
release scope, eg

Say we just take all the skins and the skins parent and move them all into
a guy repo and release the lot of them every time?

In other news, one of the things I am hoping to get (work) time to work on
is releasing everything in the reactor in order. I currently have a "magic"
Ruby script that parses the pins to determine the correct sequence and
parses the SCM logs to see if there are any changes to release and then
goes through each release root, run release:prepare release:perform,
updates all the downstream dependencies (in the outer reactor) and
continues down the (updated after dependency updates) release chain until
there is nothing left to do.

I plan to add a goal tithe release plugin to make the above possible
without my yolo.rb script

On Sunday 1 November 2015, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> Currently, we have 5 Maven parent POMs [1] (not counting Doxia), each with
> its
> own release cycle.
> Releasing each separately is a pain. And knowing which pom is at which
> version
> is a pain also.
>
> What would you think of:
>
> 1. setting the same version to every Maven parent POM: next would be
> version
> 29, since the maximum currently is plugins parent at 28
>
> 2. releasing the 5 POMs in only one release
>
> This would mean putting all the poms in pom svn [2] (currently plugins
> parent
> is in plugins, shared in shared, skins in skin...).
> I still don't know if the best bet is to make Maven parent the release
> root:
> maven
>    |-- plugins
>    |-- shared
>    |-- skins
>    |-- archetypes
>
> or if we should create a new parent that is only used as reactor
>
> any opinion?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] http://maven.apache.org/pom/index.html
>
> [2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/pom/trunk/maven/

Sent from my phone

Re: easing Maven parent poms management

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1. I had infra set up a staging group for us some time ago to make
this easier; you can stage all of them and test by using the repo URL
for the staging group.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

+1 for releasing them in one go...

On 11/1/15 10:03 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> Currently, we have 5 Maven parent POMs [1] (not counting Doxia), each with its
> own release cycle.
> Releasing each separately is a pain. And knowing which pom is at which version
> is a pain also.
Unfortunately true...

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
MPOM-95 [1] created