Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Diana Shannon <te...@mac.com> on 2002/04/25 14:20:19 UTC

documentation architecture?

Is it within the scope of Forrest to offer projects suggested
mechanisms/approaches/templates/schema for documentation? For example,
let's say a project had the following documentation offerings.

documentation categories
- FAQs
- mini how-tos
- guides (e.g., component-oriented)
- tutorials
- examples/cookbook "recipes"
- case studies
- reference guides
- quick-reference guides

For example, you may want to have:
- "What's New" page within each documentation category
- "Features" page (any document category)
- Ability to search/browse within each documentation category as well as
across all documentation categories, based on content, last modified
date (thanks David Crossley).
- Dataset scalability mechanism (e.g., when number of how-tos files
grows too large)
- Contributor's info (instructions/info, author/edit guidelines,
how-tos, schema)

Also, does Forrest's FAQ dtd (with all FAQ elements in a single file)
properly anticipate processing/administering large numbers of FAQs,
particularly when you factor in potential community contributions?

Is it within the mission of Forrest to implement/provide these items? If
not, I apologize for the noise.

Thanks.

Diana

Re: FAQ [was: Re: documentation architecture?]

Posted by Diana Shannon <te...@mac.com>.
On April 26, 2002, Steven Noels wrote:

> My remaining emotion about this opposing-views-discussion is that I'm
> perfectly willing to massage DTD's into whatever direction we would
> like, but that we should decide on the 'when': we have legacy, but if we
> can convince more people to use Forrest because of the ease of
> information entry, and we have to change DTD's for that purpose, I'm
> perfectly happy.

Is it a Bad Thing to offer legacy as well as "new and improved" dtds? If
Forrest provides tools for people to adapt their legacy content (to work
with the new DTDs) would that still discourage Forrest adoption?

What if we kept the existing FAQ dtd and had multiple instances of FAQ
data files, one per FAQ category?

> With regards to Literate Programming (i.e. Javadoc as a starter for
> 'human' documentation): I'm not convinced this is the ideal approach...
> the Cocoon documentation is in abysmal state partly because of the lack
> of 'connecting' documents, which provide a flow in between the
> component-based documentation snippets...

I agree, *none* of this works when so many content holes remain. Should
we remedy the solution by reusing    and improving the content that
exists or seek out more contributions?  One might believe -- given this
thread of reusing documentation snippets -- that we have a scarcity of
authors.  IMHO we don't have a scarcity of authors, simply inefficient
mechanisms to encourage/capture their contributions. I think the greater
number and variety of authors, the more effective the documentation
effort will be for an open source project. It will be even better if
content overlaps somewhat. Why? Open source developers typically
introduce new conceptual models in their work. Many features of new
releases remain underutilized by users -- even when some preliminary
documentation exists for it. I think a diversity of voices/authors, each
expressing an interpretation/application of this or that feature, is
central to the community as whole in being able to grok these new
conceptual models. This exchange occurs to some extent on the user
lists, but it's generally incomplete, fragmented, and difficult to
access. Our ability to tap into this community resource, and channel it
(to the benefit of other users) into more meaningful document
structures, is crucial.

How to do this? An early project, like POI, may need only a single
"contribution" page. A more advanced project may need a whole section of
pages and tools, with instructions and resources for community authors
(similar to what I'm developing for Cocoon). Forrest could provide both
sets of resources and leave it up to each project to decide what
pages/tools to deploy and when...

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Hi folks,

I've been away for a few days, and catching up...

I have some real-life experience setting up modular DTD's where UOI's
(Units of Information) are being assembled into 'consumable' documents:
while the result can be great, the burden it places on the shoulders of
the document editor mut not be underestimated.

Prior suggestions to tweak the DTD's have been opposed because of
'legacy' reasons... we indeed should not underestimate the amount of
available documentation already in xdoc format.

My remaining emotion about this opposing-views-discussion is that I'm
perfectly willing to massage DTD's into whatever direction we would
like, but that we should decide on the 'when': we have legacy, but if we
can convince more people to use Forrest because of the ease of
information entry, and we have to change DTD's for that purpose, I'm
perfectly happy.

With regards to Literate Programming (i.e. Javadoc as a starter for
'human' documentation): I'm not convinced this is the ideal approach...
the Cocoon documentation is in abysmal state partly because of the lack
of 'connecting' documents, which provide a flow in between the
component-based documentation snippets...

Just some thoughts while I'm catching up,

</Steven>

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Diana Shannon" <te...@mac.com>

> On Thursday, April 25, 2002, Robert Koberg wrote:
>

> >> As you see, the *same* piece of information is conveyed in different
> >> ways.
> >> The *same*, no need to rewrite anything.
> >>
> >> On this list I haven't yet seen Diana say this, correct me if I'm
> >> wrong.
> >>

> > Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the whole premise of XML was resuable
> > content abstracted from the presentation. I assumed this was a given,
> > where it is appropriate. But, you should not try to fit square pegs
> > into round holes.
>
> Ken, while you may be able to do this from a technological standpoint,
> just how much value does it add to the user/reader experience? Think how
> oppressive the style guide would have to be. Your "content blocks" would
> have to be unbearably monotone so that they could fit into any document
> context. This might work well for snippets of reference guides (with
> notoriously volatile timestamps) as discussed recently on cocoon-dev.
> However, I'd worry, in other cases, that you'd dampen the rich range of
> styles and tones authors employ when writing by forcing them to
> incorporate "official" content within their own works.
>
> Sometimes it's helpful to hear someone else say the same thing -- a bit
> differently.

Gee, I was starting to think that I was talking a different language ;-)
I think you got my point :-)

I see your point, but being programmer, I have the preconception that
duplicating code is bad. That's why I *love* javadocs, because they put the
information where it lives, and *only* there, in one place.

I'll think about it a bit more.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: FAQ [was: Re: documentation architecture?]

Posted by Diana Shannon <te...@mac.com>.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>From: "Robert Koberg" <ro...@koberg.com>
>Maybe I haven't explained myself well enough, but I *did* refute this in
>what I wrote.
>Not that here vision is not sensible, I'm just trying to bring the
>documentation system of a project further than "a book online".

I have seen nothing from her about a book online.

>Diana seems to be talking about different sections that each give an extra
>contribute to the docs.
>
>"address holes in the documentation" means that the FAQ contains information
>that is not in the general documentation, which implicitly has "holes".
>
>Also: "However, over time, I think FAQ
>content should migrate to more appropriate document types: how-tos,
>guides, tutorials. ", which in means that the FAQ is a sort of
>well-organized forum.

this makes perfect sense. But i see you concern now after reading the
thread. I see the FAQ as one entry point to more documentation

>What I envision instead is that ALL the documentation can be seen and read
>in different ways, different views.

I just assumed this is the way it would be...

>For example, let's say that in the docs there is a paragraph about how to
>install Cocoon on Weblogic.
>There could be a question in the FAQ that says "how do I install Cocoon on
>weblogic?".
>Or in the tutorial: "Now install Cocoon. If you have weblogic...".

OK, sure. Or it could easily be a link. Whichever makes more sense. I
would think a summary (taken from the main docs) and a link to further
info would make more sense because it takes them out of a chaotic
environment and brings them to an area that deals with specific needs.

>As you see, the *same* piece of information is conveyed in different ways.
>The *same*, no need to rewrite anything.
>
>On this list I haven't yet seen Diana say this, correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the whole premise of XML was resuable
content abstracted from the presentation. I assumed this was a given,
where it is appropriate. But, you should not try to fit square pegs into
round holes.

>>Everything you describe below has already been described by Diana??
>>

>Is this a question?
>I don't think Diana needs to be helped, she is more than able to speak for
>herself, thank you.

Whatever... I was helping myself because I agree with her approach...

best,
-Rob

Re: FAQ [was: Re: documentation architecture?]

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Robert Koberg" <ro...@koberg.com>

> It sounds like you just restated what she is trying to do.

Dunno, I'm trying to convey something new, but if it's already said then
even better, I'm +1 with it ;-)

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Diana Shannon" <te...@mac.com>

> On April 25, 2002, Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> > From: "Diana Shannon" <te...@mac.com>
> >
> >> IMO, FAQ content should primarily address holes or ambiguity in other
> >> documentation, as well as bugs in code.
> >
> > Not necessarily.
>
> Are you trying to say that FAQs have come to represent the smallest
> granularity of information in a documentation project? If so, I
> certainly agree with you. I'm just arguing for more effective structures
> for new content as well as existing content based on a specific need.

More effective structure +1
Existing content based on a specific need +1
Partially duplicating content because of this -0

If I have to write a paragraph that explains how to install on Weblogic and
then repeat myself partially in the FAQ when I explain that to avoid a
common problem while installing on Weblogic you have to do a specific thing,
I'm not happy.

Having to port the FAQ entry in the docs and keep it only there does not
make me happier.

> I also think we should encourage other types of "granular" content that
> could eventually be aggregated into more comprehensive documents.

+1

>  One
> example is a "Mini-How-To," a document which describes how to accomplish
> a specific task in a consise, action-oriented fashion. The presence of a
> number of similar Mini-How-Tos (variations on a the same topic) may
> reveal the lack of a user comprehension of a design pattern. Thus, a new
> concept document or tutorial might focus on teaching the design pattern,
> using the Mini-How-Tos as examples. Or, let's say you have cookbook
> "recipes" (code snippets with some explanation) submissions. These could
> be migrated into/referred to by a "best practices" guide/tutorial/other
> how-tos.

This comes nearer to my vision, but it's not quite it.

I'm trying to envision a totally different way of describing information.

> > The main problem of a documentation is that it can be written in
> > different
> > ways, which have a varying degree of effectiveness depending on /who/
> > reads
> > them and /when/.
>
> Documents *solve* problems. A poorly written, weakly designed, or
> missing document is a problem.

With "problem ", I mean difficulty for the writers.
To make a book it's difficult to find the right balance between approaches.
But since we're making a (possibly) dynamic documentation system, we don't
necessarily have to choose beforehand.

> > Let me try to explain a bit more.
> >
> > As an example take any school book.
> >
> > It can teach the same content by:
> >
> > 1. explaining the theorical architecture and providing corresponding use
> > cases
> > 2. teaching the history of how the theory got made with all the real
> > life
> > things that provided the insight needed
> > 3. answering questions that users might pose as the learning advances
> > 4. providing clever use-cases that make the student get more insight as
> > the
> > explanation advances (learn by doing)
> > 5. etc...
>
> These are all "methods" used by authors of training/tutorial documents.
> Their degree of effectiveness depends on how and when they are applied.
> Some methods work best with specific types of content/subject matter or
> at a certain point in time (in the learning process).

This is the point for me.
Since our documentation can be used as a "teacher" itself (hey, we can make
a dynamic web application here, let's not forget!), we can think of how to
_guide_ our reader.

I repeat: it's /not/ a book, it's /more/ than a hypertext, it's a dynamic
infoset or whatever you prefer to call it..

> Good writers know
> how to provide the right balance and sequence of theory, analogy, and
> example. They also know how to anticipate common questions as well as
> help users recover from common mistakes. I still think the effectiveness
> of a document -- for its intended audience -- is a concrete result of
> its design, not a function of who/what/where.

"for its intended audience " means who/what/where  ;-)

I take for granted that the same person after a very short time is already
part of a different audience.

> > I've seen this when I wrote a short book on how the computer works,
> > called
> > "Computer Architecture".
> > It has been useful for many as a reference, and in part as a support for
> > teaching, but can't be read by itself to learn how to use a Computer.
>
> A single document isn't supposed to address all possible use cases.
> That's why we have reference guides, tutorials, brochures, newsletters,
> etc. Maybe you're being too critical of yourself as the author ;) ?

Maybe I had too big expectations ;-)

The point is: do we really need to write reference guides, tutorials,
brochures... etc?
Can't we find a way to abstract information into something more granular so
that reference guides, tutorials, brochures, and so on, can be generated
_automatically_ from the same information source?

XML is content. XSL is view. Or only style?

There are high level information explanation systems, like transition trees
and current reality trees.
Can't we use them to represent-collate the information sets?

> > Every time I read a technical book in my life, I always understand more
> > things and in a different way.
>
> Don't you think that's more a reflection of your evolution as a learner?
> I don't think it's a good argument for limiting the classes of documents
> we might develop.

I'm not saying that I want to limit them.

Speaking in other /geeky/ terms, currently "classes of documentation" are
subclasses of a generic document.
The generic document defines paragraphs, strong text parts, lists, etc.
The FAQ class of documents can for example add a structure with sections and
faq-items, that inside use the parent class functionality (lists,
paragraphs, etc).

What I envision instead, is a different thing altogether.
There is *no* class Document, but a Document is solely an
aggregation-digestion of InformationPackets.
These Packets are correlated and described by cognitive and structural maps.
Different Maps represent different views on the same InformationSet
(collection of all the packets).

Documents are just a possible "style" for these views, and an automatic
voice system can be another (like cassette lessons).

> > What I'm trying to say is that we should find a way of abstracting the
> > information in such a way that it can be relaborated and shown to the
> > user
> > in many ways, so that we open different communication channels to the
> > same
> > knowledge.
>
> That's a lofty goal.

I never aim low ;-)

Posted by Diana Shannon <te...@mac.com>.
On April 25, 2002, Ken Barozzi wrote:

> From: "Diana Shannon" <te...@mac.com>
>
>> IMO, FAQ content should primarily address holes or ambiguity in other
>> documentation, as well as bugs in code.
>
> Not necessarily.

Are you trying to say that FAQs have come to represent the smallest
granularity of information in a documentation project? If so, I
certainly agree with you. I'm just arguing for more effective structures
for new content as well as existing content based on a specific need.

I also think we should encourage other types of "granular" content that
could eventually be aggregated into more comprehensive documents. One
example is a "Mini-How-To," a document which describes how to accomplish
a specific task in a consise, action-oriented fashion. The presence of a
number of similar Mini-How-Tos (variations on a the same topic) may
reveal the lack of a user comprehension of a design pattern. Thus, a new
concept document or tutorial might focus on teaching the design pattern,
using the Mini-How-Tos as examples. Or, let's say you have cookbook
"recipes" (code snippets with some explanation) submissions. These could
be migrated into/referred to by a "best practices" guide/tutorial/other
how-tos.

> The main problem of a documentation is that it can be written in
> different
> ways, which have a varying degree of effectiveness depending on /who/
> reads
> them and /when/.

Documents *solve* problems. A poorly written, weakly designed, or
missing document is a problem.

> Let me try to explain a bit more.
>
> As an example take any school book.
>
> It can teach the same content by:
>
> 1. explaining the theorical architecture and providing corresponding use
> cases
> 2. teaching the history of how the theory got made with all the real
> life
> things that provided the insight needed
> 3. answering questions that users might pose as the learning advances
> 4. providing clever use-cases that make the student get more insight as
> the
> explanation advances (learn by doing)
> 5. etc...

These are all "methods" used by authors of training/tutorial documents.
Their degree of effectiveness depends on how and when they are applied.
Some methods work best with specific types of content/subject matter or
at a certain point in time (in the learning process). Good writers know
how to provide the right balance and sequence of theory, analogy, and
example. They also know how to anticipate common questions as well as
help users recover from common mistakes. I still think the effectiveness
of a document -- for its intended audience -- is a concrete result of
its design, not a function of who/what/where.

> I've seen this when I wrote a short book on how the computer works,
> called
> "Computer Architecture".
> It has been useful for many as a reference, and in part as a support for
> teaching, but can't be read by itself to learn how to use a Computer.

A single document isn't supposed to address all possible use cases.
That's why we have reference guides, tutorials, brochures, newsletters,
etc. Maybe you're being too critical of yourself as the author ;) ?

> Every time I read a technical book in my life, I always understand more
> things and in a different way.

Don't you think that's more a reflection of your evolution as a learner?
I don't think it's a good argument for limiting the classes of documents
we might develop.

> What I'm trying to say is that we should find a way of abstracting the
> information in such a way that it can be relaborated and shown to the
> user
> in many ways, so that we open different communication channels to the
> same
> knowledge.

That's a lofty goal.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Diana Shannon" <te...@mac.com>

Posted by Diana Shannon <te...@mac.com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> No AFAIK. The Faq DTD is a crucial poin that needs further discussion
> and
> addressing, since it's basically the result of community know-how, the
> real
> core of the project.

Many open source projects vary greatly in how they define what's
appropriate content for an FAQ . For example, one project's "FAQs page"
serves as another project's "Manual". That's ok, but is it ideal? The
number and scope of FAQs are revealing indicators for the maturity level
of a project's documentation effort. However, over time, I think FAQ
content should migrate to more appropriate document types: how-tos,
guides, tutorials. Nevertheless, some users may have enough
knowledge/experience to author a helpful FAQ, but not necessarily enough
time/detail/knowledge to author a more comprehensive "how-to". Such
users should *still* have a channel through which to contribute --
assuming the topic they want to address is valid. I believe technical
and editorial review can provide sufficient quality assurance.

I'm certainly not suggesting we impose restrictions on the scope of FAQ
content for Apache projects. Instead we can provide other document
guidelines/resources to help better these projects better manage and
direct community contributions. (I will be working on this for Cocoon.)
IMO, FAQ content should primarily address holes or ambiguity in other
documentation, as well as bugs in code. They also provide a useful

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Diana Shannon" <te...@mac.com>

> Is it within the scope of Forrest to offer projects suggested
> mechanisms/approaches/templates/schema for documentation? For example,

IMO yes.

> let's say a project had the following documentation offerings.
>
> documentation categories
> - FAQs
> - mini how-tos
> - guides (e.g., component-oriented)
> - tutorials
> - examples/cookbook "recipes"
> - case studies
> - reference guides
> - quick-reference guides
>
> For example, you may want to have:
> - "What's New" page within each documentation category
> - "Features" page (any document category)
> - Ability to search/browse within each documentation category as well as
> across all documentation categories, based on content, last modified
> date (thanks David Crossley).
> - Dataset scalability mechanism (e.g., when number of how-tos files
> grows too large)
> - Contributor's info (instructions/info, author/edit guidelines,
> how-tos, schema)

Please look at http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/ .

There is a menu on the left organized using the CDC principle:
Community-Docs-Code.

What does it mean?

A project at Apache seems to resolve around these three points.
The main thing is the community, without which nothing gets done.
Then the Documentation, which is the step to start understanding the
Community.
Finally the code, which is what the docs represent.

This ladder is usually climbed from the bottom: first you look at the code,
start reading the docs, and finally approach the community.

the scheme is somewhat like the one I include as an attachment.

I propose that we start from this basis and enhance it.

> Also, does Forrest's FAQ dtd (with all FAQ elements in a single file)
> properly anticipate processing/administering large numbers of FAQs,
> particularly when you factor in potential community contributions?

No AFAIK. The Faq DTD is a crucial poin that needs further discussion and
addressing, since it's basically the result of community know-how, the real
core of the project.

> Is it within the mission of Forrest to implement/provide these items?

Yes.

Now that I think of it, in the goals of Forrest there is a build system.

But now for the build there is Centipede, and I would remove that from the
goals.

This is what I envision:

Forrest: site (community+docs)
Alexandria: project code comprehension (docs+code)
Gump: module builds for quality assesment and CI(community+code)
Centipede: Build system to interact with all three.

Currently Centipede has a Gump descriptor and uses a modified version of
Forrest for the docs (committing today-tomorrow I still hope).
It also uses code documentation that I would like to see in Alexandria; I
didn't write it myself, and will ask maybe to donate it there.

What do you think?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
oops, the attachment ;-)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -