Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> on 2016/07/03 13:23:16 UTC

[mentors] Podling Report signing

Dear mentors!

Please read and sign off our July podling report:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2016

 Daniel Dekany

Re: [mentors] Podling Report signing

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
Signed!

Jacopo

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
signed

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: [mentors] Podling Report signing

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
I have added a sentence to the end of the "How has the project
developed since the last report?" part after you have signed :

  There was also progress related to tooling, though those projects
  are outside the ASF (Eclipse plugin at JBoss, and the Online
  Template Tester at Kenshoo).

I hope it's not a problem.

More inline below...

Sunday, July 3, 2016, 4:12:22 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> The report looks good Daniel, signed.
>
> I like the way the third point about the community is worded. I\u2019ve
> been traveling and out for a bit so haven\u2019t commented on the
> community versus graduation discussion, but it seems a good stance
> to take for now (work on building community with more committers and
> such, but explore graduation with the community as-is).

(BTW, I think the "-incubating" suffix in the Maven repo is
discouraging for the users. They think it's some kind of preview
release. Heck, http://mvnrepository.com/ even marks it automatically
with a red "alpha".)

> From what I understand of ASF practices and IPMC preferences more
> committers, and from various companies/organizations, would help a
> lot to smooth the way to graduation and setup the project for a
> longer term stable community. Perhaps between the committers and the
> PMC already planned for it is adequate and a graduation vote would
> pass, I don\u2019t know.

When the project was accepted into the Incubator, it was clear that
it's an old project, and that it hardly ever will have companies
around who will allocate employees on it. It was also clear that
templating is not a hot topic for a long time now (as they might
experienced at Velocity). So I think everyone knew that it will be
like. Let they have let it in... let's hope because they though it can
also get out of the Incubator alive. BTW, joining the ASF has clearly
draw some attention, but getting someone to code for free is high bar.

> FreeMarker is incredibly useful and I (perhaps like many others)
> wish I had more time to contribute and even work toward becoming a
> committer, but (also perhaps like many others) so much of my time
> goes into other open source projects (well, plus all the work and
> personal stuff that distracts us from these works ;) ) that it is
> difficult to get into and stay involved with over time.

Yeah, I know that. But occasional little contributions can mean a lot
too.

> Part of this is that FreeMarker just works, and works well, so even
> for the fairly complex use I make of it in other projects and
> efforts no changes are really needed. This might be a useful point
> to bring up in the bid for graduation, and I think is similar to the
> point Jacopo has been making. The project is very useful and perhaps
> sustainable with the current code and community.

Also, graduating from the Incubator would give more credit to the
project, which can mean more contributions. It would be a bit daring
to use this argument though... (-:

> Also because of time constraints I haven\u2019t volunteered to serve on
> the FreeMarker PMC after graduation, but if it is needed or would be
> helpful I would be happy to do so.

You are FreeMarker power user, you have ideas about what to improve,
has your own project that relies on FreeMarker quite much, so of
course I would like you to be in the PMC.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@dejc.com>.
The report looks good Daniel, signed.

I like the way the third point about the community is worded. I’ve been traveling and out for a bit so haven’t commented on the community versus graduation discussion, but it seems a good stance to take for now (work on building community with more committers and such, but explore graduation with the community as-is).

From what I understand of ASF practices and IPMC preferences more committers, and from various companies/organizations, would help a lot to smooth the way to graduation and setup the project for a longer term stable community. Perhaps between the committers and the PMC already planned for it is adequate and a graduation vote would pass, I don’t know.

FreeMarker is incredibly useful and I (perhaps like many others) wish I had more time to contribute and even work toward becoming a committer, but (also perhaps like many others) so much of my time goes into other open source projects (well, plus all the work and personal stuff that distracts us from these works ;) ) that it is difficult to get into and stay involved with over time. Part of this is that FreeMarker just works, and works well, so even for the fairly complex use I make of it in other projects and efforts no changes are really needed. This might be a useful point to bring up in the bid for graduation, and I think is similar to the point Jacopo has been making. The project is very useful and perhaps sustainable with the current code and community.

Also because of time constraints I haven’t volunteered to serve on the FreeMarker PMC after graduation, but if it is needed or would be helpful I would be happy to do so.