Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Michael Mosmann <mi...@mosmann.de> on 2013/01/17 23:53:05 UTC

remove javax.servlet from wicket-core

Hi,

it may sound like a crazy idea, but sometimes a good idea started as a
crazy one: I want to remove javax.servlet from wicket-core. Why? Here
are some thoughts:
- run a wicket application on a netty/vert.x/what-ever stack
- make test easier (BaseWicketTester is not as clear as it should be)
- maybe it's easier to implement atmosphere or something like this
without this javax.servlet rabbit hole
- your ideas

The last days i did some code changes (
https://github.com/michaelmosmann/wicket/tree/Refactor-ServletAbstraction)
... with limited success. Removing javax.servlet from core is possible
as far as we ignore something like spring. But that's not an option...

What i want to know: Is there any chance, that this can succeed? This
will change wicket in many places, and i understand, that nobody will
accept this as an wicket 6.x.y "improvment". Maybe this is the wrong
direction, maybe the right thing to early, not the best thing we could
do now...

Maybe i am the crazy one with obviously to much time for crazy ideas...

Michael

Re: remove javax.servlet from wicket-core

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
I also tried once to run Wicket on Netty and started making abstractions
for all Servlet APIs.
But I dropped it exactly for the reason tetsuo noted - too big API breaks.

WicketFilter is a javax.servlet.Filter, so it is normal to be tied to
Servlet APIs. Netty/Vert.x/... wont be able to use it anyway. They will
have they own entry point. They have to create their own Response/Request
impls...

Some Wicket components use some javax.servlet.** classes directly, but this
is something internal and wont change Wicket APIs.

I'm going to fork this repo...

--
Martin Grigorov
jWeekend

Re: remove javax.servlet from wicket-core

Posted by tetsuo <ro...@gmail.com>.