Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Giulio Cesare Solaroli <gi...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/27 23:38:54 UTC

Passage Search

Hi all,

reading some posts in Steve Green's weblog, I found the description of
a "Passage search"
(http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/searchguy/20050126).

Translated into Lucene words, this looks like a nice score algorithm
that could be applied to rank the matching documents.

Does anybody have any idea on how the suggested approach stands up to
Lucene current algorithm, and how difficult would be to inplement also
the "Passage search" scoring?

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Giulio Cesare Solaroli

Re: Passage Search

Posted by jian chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
True, the span query accomplishes large part of the passage search.
However, correct me if I am wrong, it seems to me that the span query
only matches all words you specified. there is a limitation there
compared to passage search or cover density search, which matches some
of the user input keywords.

I guess in order to do passage/cover density ranking, it would be
efficient to load the inverted document all at once for a document and
give a score for that document.

Is my analysis correct? Sorry in advance if any of the facts are wrong.

Cheers,

Jian

Re: Passage Search

Posted by David Spencer <da...@tropo.com>.