Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2003/08/25 16:13:25 UTC

Re: Subversion l33t

"Files" <fi...@poetryunlimited.com> writes:
> Oh I dunno. The fact that everyone's response to my message so far
> has been "We'd love to have help", even if it hasn't been practiced,
> O high and mighty co-tyrant/despot Karl. :P~
>
> Shamim Islam
> Subversion Commoner

:-)

Seriously, I think you're over-generalizing from one incident...
Sometimes a bug report or a patch just falls through the cracks.

In this case, falling through the cracks was especially likely,
because we don't consider 'svn_load_dirs.pl' to be part of the core
Subversion distribution.  Therefore only one or two developers really
follow svn_load_dirs.pl bugs -- so the likelihood of a response is
lower than for a core svn bug.

As to our claim that we'd love to have help, it's really true.
However, we can't afford to spend a lot of administrative overhead
helping people help us.  This means that help has to come in the form
of concise, reproducible bug reports and patches that adhere to both
the letter and the spirit of the guidelines in HACKING.  (I can't
recall offhand if your mails met these criteria, I'm just pointing out
that "help" is a wide word, and we're only talking about a particular
narrow range of it.)  Plus, we have to stick to our prioritization of
1.0 bugs first, everything else second.

I'm sorry your bug report fell through the cracks.  This has happened
to me, oh, ten or twenty or a hundred times in a decade of
participating in free software projects :-), so you shouldn't feel too
lonely.

-Karl

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Sander Striker wrote:

> Yeah...  I was more inquiring about the timing.  But hey, you couldn't
> I'm doing it now.  Below is the log message.  Before I commit it I'd
> like to ask if this is what was in mind?  Anything I've overlooked?
>
> Sander
>
> ---
> Log:
>  * contrib/
>
>    New directory holding contributed works that are maintained by 3rd
>    parties or single developers, instead of being actively maintained
>    at the same time as subversion code churns.

What's the distinction that was used for separating the tools?

>  * contrib/cgi
>  * contrib/cgi/mirror_dir_through_svn.README
>  * contrib/cgi/mirror_dir_through_svn.cgi
>  * contrib/cgi/svn-log.cgi
>  * contrib/cgi/svn-log.pl
>  * contrib/cgi/tweak-log.cgi
>
>    Moved from tools/cgi/.
>
>  * contrib/client-side
>  * contrib/client-side/psvn
>  * contrib/client-side/psvn/psvn.el
>  * contrib/client-side/search-svnlog.pl
>  * contrib/client-side/showchange.pl
>  * contrib/client-side/svn.vim
>  * contrib/client-side/svn_all_diffs.pl
>  * contrib/client-side/svn_load_dirs.README
>  * contrib/client-side/svn_load_dirs.pl.in
>  * contrib/client-side/svn_load_dirs_property_table.example

I'd like to keep svn_load_dirs as a supported project and I'll do
the support if required.  I think the tool is pretty much done, so
it won't need much more work.  It's also written up in the svn
book and I would like to leave it in there.

Blair

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:

> On Mon 2003-08-25 at 19:36:27 +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
> > I'm going to split the tools directory into a contrib and a tools
> > directory.  The latter will be guaranteed to be maintained and up
> > to date, whereas contrib/ will not.
>
> Deja vu? Didn't we already had this idea and question presented?
>
> Ah, yes,
>
>   http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=42214
>
> from end of July.
>
> > Objections?
>
> See above thread. ;-)

> voluntered to create a list as suggestion of what should go to tools
> and what to contrib.

Yeah, sorry....*I've* been swamperoonied the last several weeks, also.  If
someone else beats me to it...go for it.  +1.

  Thanks!

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

Re: tools/ vs contrib/, svn_load_dirs.pl, WAS: RE: Subversion l33t

Posted by Benjamin Pflugmann <be...@pflugmann.de>.
On Mon 2003-08-25 at 19:36:27 +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
> I'm going to split the tools directory into a contrib and a tools
> directory.  The latter will be guaranteed to be maintained and up
> to date, whereas contrib/ will not.

Deja vu? Didn't we already had this idea and question presented?

Ah, yes,

  http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=42214

from end of July.

> Objections?

See above thread. ;-)

voluntered to create a list as suggestion of what should go to tools
and what to contrib.

Bye,

Re: tools/ vs contrib/, svn_load_dirs.pl, WAS: RE: Subversion l33t

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> writes:
> I'm going to split the tools directory into a contrib and a tools
> directory.  The latter will be guaranteed to be maintained and up
> to date, whereas contrib/ will not.
>
> Objections?

I was just about to do this (I'd even already done 'svn mkdir
contrib').  But if you're doing it, I'll move on to something else.

To avoid a recursive wait, I'll assume you're doing it unless hear
otherwise.

-Karl

tools/ vs contrib/, svn_load_dirs.pl, WAS: RE: Subversion l33t

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.