Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2016/03/08 02:09:07 UTC

git-based site and jekyll

I got some information back from INFRA about how the git-based sites work.
It's just plain old static hosting of a git branch. So, whatever we'd put
in a specified branch would show up directly on the site, no rendering or
generation. This would completely bypass CMS and buildbot staging builds.

Was discussing this with elserj in IRC, and these ideas came out of that:

1. Switch site to use git branch named "site" or "website" or similar.
2. Use jekyll 3 to generate the static site contents in this git branch.
3. Store the unrendered (markdown) jekyll stuff in a gh-pages branch.
4. Possibly set up a post-commit hook on gh-pages branch to render locally
and commit the generated static site to the "site" branch.

This would have the following benefits:

* Canonical rendering of "site" branch at http://accumulo.apache.org
* Identical, automatic rendering of gh-pages branch at
http://apache.github.io/accumulo
* Changes to gh-pages in forks would render in fork's github.io for
preview/testing
* Jekyll can be run locally for preview for non-GitHub users wishing to
contribute updates to site
* Use of jekyll means we can still edit/use markdown to edit pages
* Can still include non-markdown content and raw html

Another project which seems to be doing this (or something close to it) is
Apache Drill:
https://drill.apache.org/
http://apache.github.io/drill/
http://ctubbsii.github.io/drill/ (example fork build)

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by William Slacum <ws...@gmail.com>.
I would like to request at least one frame and one scrolling marquee. Can
we blingee the Accumulo logo?

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, that menu scrolling has been a long-time irritation :)

You can adding some more padding-left if you want to increase the
spacing (I think I put 5-10px).

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Dylan Hutchison <dh...@cs.washington.edu>.
Sounds great Chris!

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
+1 on moving to Jekyll

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 as well. I would be extremely happy moving to Jekyll.
>
> The one concern I had was regarding automatic rendering of what would look
> like "the Apache Accumulo website" on Github (both apache/accumulo github
> account and other forks).
>
> Christopher had said that no one seemed to object in comdev@ when he
> talked about this a while back. I wanted to make sure everyone considered
> this (for example, Christopher's fork of Drill's repository now also looks
> like a canonical host of the Apache Drill project). I'm not actively
> stating that I think it's an issue at this point, only suggesting that we
> give it some thought and maybe ask someone who is more knowledgable (Shane
> from trademarks?) before moving forward. The worst case I envision is that
> we find some way to "gimp" the github-rendered site (redirect back to the
> canonical accumulo.apache.org or similar).

I also I think it would be good to seek clarification on the trademark
issue.  The content of the website is ASF licensed and that gives lot of
freedom.   Howerver, the trademarks are a different animal.  Out of
curiosity, I was reading the following guidance on external entities using
Apache marks.  I don't have enough knowledge or experience to draw any
conclusions from reading the guidance, but found it interesting.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/domains.html

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: git-based site and jekyll

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
+1 sounds great!

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

> I got some information back from INFRA about how the git-based sites work.
> It's just plain old static hosting of a git branch. So, whatever we'd put
> in a specified branch would show up directly on the site, no rendering or
> generation. This would completely bypass CMS and buildbot staging builds.
>
> Was discussing this with elserj in IRC, and these ideas came out of that:
>
> 1. Switch site to use git branch named "site" or "website" or similar.
> 2. Use jekyll 3 to generate the static site contents in this git branch.
> 3. Store the unrendered (markdown) jekyll stuff in a gh-pages branch.
> 4. Possibly set up a post-commit hook on gh-pages branch to render locally
> and commit the generated static site to the "site" branch.
>
> This would have the following benefits:
>
> * Canonical rendering of "site" branch at http://accumulo.apache.org
> * Identical, automatic rendering of gh-pages branch at
> http://apache.github.io/accumulo
> * Changes to gh-pages in forks would render in fork's github.io for
> preview/testing
> * Jekyll can be run locally for preview for non-GitHub users wishing to
> contribute updates to site
> * Use of jekyll means we can still edit/use markdown to edit pages
> * Can still include non-markdown content and raw html
>
> Another project which seems to be doing this (or something close to it) is
> Apache Drill:
> https://drill.apache.org/
> http://apache.github.io/drill/
> http://ctubbsii.github.io/drill/ (example fork build)