Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jean-Armel Luce <ja...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/24 13:07:00 UTC

CassKop : a Cassandra operator for Kubernetes developped by Orange

Hi folks,

We are excited to announce that CassKop, a Cassandra operator for
Kubernetes developped by Orange teams, is now ready for Beta testing.

CassKop works as a usual K8S controller (reconcile the real state with a
desired state) and automates the Cassandra operations through JMX. All the
operations are launched by calling standard K8S APIs (kubectl apply …) or
by using a K8S plugin (kubectl casskop …).

CassKop is developed in GO, based on CoreOS operator-sdk framework.
Main features already available :
- deploying a rack aware cluster (or AZ aware cluster)
- scaling up & down (including cleanups)
- setting and modifying configuration parameters (C* and JVM parameters)
- adding / removing a datacenter in Cassandra (all datacenters must be in
the same region)
- rebuilding nodes
- removing node or replacing node (in case of hardware failure)
- upgrading C* or Java versions (including upgradesstables)
- monitoring (using Prometheus/Grafana)
- ...

By using local and persistent volumes, it is possible to handle failures or
stop/start nodes for maintenance operations with no transfer of data
between nodes.
Moreover, we can deploy cassandra-reaper in K8S and use it for scheduling
repair sessions.
For now, we can deploy a C* cluster only as a mono-region cluster. We will
work during the next weeks to be able to deploy a C* cluster as a multi
regions cluster.

Still in the roadmap :
- Network encryption
- Monitoring (exporting logs and metrics)
- backup & restore
- multi-regions support

We'd be interested to hear you try this and let us know what you think!

Please read the description and installation instructions on
https://github.com/Orange-OpenSource/cassandra-k8s-operator.
For a quick start, you can also follow this step by step guide :
https://orange-opensource.github.io/cassandra-k8s-operator/index.html?slides=Slides-CassKop-demo.md#1

The CassKop Team

Re: CassKop : a Cassandra operator for Kubernetes developped by Orange

Posted by Ben Bromhead <be...@instaclustr.com>.
This all looks really awesome, while i wish there wasn't as much duplicated
effort across the different projects it's great to see how different teams
are solving this very real problem!

Also Attila we do have our cloud offering as you mentioned, but we also
have our own k8s operator which is Apache licensed.

So awesome work to the teams from Orange, Datastax and Sky and welcome to
the fun of building on a hugely popular and constantly changing project :)

Most folk don't realize you can't just run a stateful set!

Posted by Per Otterström <pe...@ericsson.com>.
Thanks for open-sourcing your work! Looks very promising.

/pelle

The CassKop project was started a year ago internally at Orange with a small team. Discussing with the community we decided to move it to github with an open source Apache 2 licence.

The only commit on github don't relate the real project history.

We are really open to cooperate, our goal is to have the better solution for production uses.
Sébastien

rahul.xavier.singh@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>

http://cassandra.link

I'm speaking at #DataStaxAccelerate, the world's premiere #ApacheCassandra conference, and I want to see you there! Use my code Singh50 for 50% off your registration. www.datastax.com/accelerate<http://www.datastax.com/accelerate>

[...]

Thank you.

Re: CassKop : a Cassandra operator for Kubernetes developped by Orange

Posted by se...@orange.com.

Posted by Attila Wind <at...@swf.technology>.

Posted by John Sanda <jo...@gmail.com>.
There is also

wrote:

> Fantastic! Now there are three teams making k8s operators for C*:
> Datastax, Instaclustr, and now Orange.
>
> rahul.xavier.singh@gmail.com
>
> http://cassandra.link
>
> I'm speaking at #DataStaxAccelerate, the world’s premiere #ApacheCassandra
> conference, and I want to see you there! Use my code Singh50 for 50% off
> your registration. www.datastax.com/accelerate
>

> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 9:07 AM Jean-Armel Luce <ja...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> We are excited to announce that CassKop, a Cassandra operator for
>> Kubernetes developped by Orange teams, is now ready for Beta testing.
>>
>> CassKop works as a usual K8S controller (reconcile the real state with a
>> desired state) and automates the Cassandra operations through JMX. All the
>> operations are launched by calling standard K8S APIs (kubectl apply …) or
>> by using a K8S plugin (kubectl casskop …).
>>
>> CassKop is developed in GO, based on CoreOS operator-sdk framework.
>> Main features already available :
>> - deploying a rack aware cluster (or AZ aware cluster)
>> - scaling up & down (including cleanups)
>> - setting and modifying configuration parameters (C* and JVM parameters)
>> - adding / removing a datacenter in Cassandra (all datacenters must be in
>> the same region)
>> - rebuilding nodes
>> - removing node or replacing node (in case of hardware failure)
>> - upgrading C* or Java versions (including upgradesstables)
>> - monitoring (using Prometheus/Grafana)
>> - ...
>>
>> By using local and persistent volumes, it is possible to handle failures
>> or stop/start nodes for maintenance operations with no transfer of data
>> between nodes.
>> Moreover, we can deploy cassandra-reaper in K8S and use it for scheduling
>> repair sessions.
>> For now, we can deploy a C* cluster only as a mono-region cluster. We
>> will work during the next weeks to be able to deploy a C* cluster as a
>> multi regions cluster.
>>
>> Still in the roadmap :
>> - Network encryption
>> - Monitoring (exporting logs and metrics)
>> - backup & restore
>> - multi-regions support
>>
>> We'd be interested to hear you try this and let us know what you think!
>>
>> Please read the description and installation instructions on
>> https://github.com/Orange-OpenSource/cassandra-k8s-operator.
>> For a quick start, you can also follow this step by step guide :
>> https://orange-opensource.github.io/cassandra-k8s-operator/index.html?slides=Slides-CassKop-demo.md#1
>>

>> The CassKop Team
>>
> --

- John

Re: CassKop : a Cassandra operator for Kubernetes developped by Orange

Posted by Rahul Singh <ra...@gmail.com>.