Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Downey, Tim" <td...@Tilion.com> on 2000/10/10 19:07:50 UTC

Extracting the DOCTYPE from a DOM

Hi gang,

This must have been asked before, but I can't seem to find any reference in
the archive.

I'm creating a document using DOM and then attempting to serialize it out to
a stream for transmission.  I think I'm correctly setting the DOCTYPE, but
no matter what I do, I can't get the serialized form to contain the DOCTYPE
line.

Here's a snippet of the code that creates the document and the DOCTYPE

        DOMImplementation domImpl =
DOMImplementationImpl.getDOMImplementation();

        DocumentType docType = domImpl.createDocumentType("qualifiedName",
                                                          "publicId",
"systemId");

        Document doc = domImpl.createDocument("urn:art-org:art", "art",
                                              docType);

Here's where I serialize:

        try{
            OutputFormat format = new OutputFormat(doc);

            XMLSerializer xSer = new XMLSerializer(System.out,format);
            xSer.asDOMSerializer();
            xSer.serialize(doc.getDocumentElement());
        } catch (IOException i){ }

I've also tried using the DOMWriter sample code with no luck.  Is there any
way to extract the DOCTYPE from a DOM?

Thanks a lot
-tim

Tim Downey                                                        Tilion,
Inc.
(978)461-4800 x243               5 Clock Tower Place, Suite 110
tdowney@tilion.com                              Maynard, MA 01754

 <<Tim Downey (E-mail).vcf>>