Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Adam Szita <sz...@cloudera.com> on 2018/02/01 13:57:32 UTC

IMetaStoreClient.getPartitionsByNames is not case insensitive on names

Hi all,

While testing the HMS API, we've found that the col name part of partition
names provided to IMetaStoreClient.getPartitionsByNames method are not
handled in a case insensitive matter.

See related test here:
https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/master/standalone-metastore/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/metastore/client/TestGetPartitions.java#L357

Although col names are handled in a case insensitive way mostly throughout
Hive, I'm not sure if this case should be corrected or not. Gut feeling
says this should be insensitive too, but I'm afraid changing it would
introduce more additional computation than what it's worth. (By separating
the partition name, taking the lowercase of all col parts and then
recompile the whole string before storing it into HMS DB...)

What's your opinion on this?

Thanks,
Adam